Hi all .. rust??

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
The trim just pry's up from the clips ... gotta be careful, don't wanna break or bend anything ...... I then sealed it up with some black gasket maker .. hopefully it'll stay flexible and stop the water intrusion .. I'll give it a day to dry then test again.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
then seal it up with some black gasket maker
Hopefully you are not referring to silicon sealer (like used for engines and such)?
That stuff doesn’t work very well in this scenario.

You might to research the product to use, a bit more – and do it right the first time.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Hopefully you are not referring to silicon sealer (like used for engines and such)?
That stuff doesn’t work very well in this scenario.

You might to research the product to use, a bit more – and do it right the first time.

Rut row ....... yup, that's what I used ... cleaned the surface with some alcohol then applied a bead right where the vinyl meets the roof and forced it under the vinyl, but still kept it under the the trim piece ... hopefully it holds, otherwise I gotta clean the old off to get anything new on.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not an auto body expert – but work with enough mates who are experts. That is what they tell me, all of the time.
They make a sealer that works great in that case – but I can't think of what they are (I don't work in that area often enough).

Silicon sealer likes to be under pressure and does fill in the minute gaps between gaskets and metal surfaces (like timing cover gaskets for example), when left in a fine film (not in a big bead, like many people like to do).
Matter of fact, for gaskets, like timing covers for example, put a bit on a gasket, take a finger (or something) and spread it out to a thin film. Not much of it is ever needed.

You may be good, and hopefully so. I'm just going by what I've heard.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Thanks for the input ....... learning all the time ....... I was guilty of the big bead .. good to know, I like how you have 1 problem and learn about other things as you solve.

Back