hitch mounting

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
What's going on, everyone?

So I want to put a hitch receiver on the back of my 5th. I figured that since I have 5-leaf springs in the back that it should be able to hold some weight. I'm only planning on towing a small utility trailer with a mower, trimmer, and blower in it, so not too heavy.

If some of you have already done it, how did you mount the hitch? I'm hoping that there's a place on the rear subframe that I can mount it to? I also have the wiring and plug for the trailer lights. I was just going to splice those into the existing brake lights wiring.

Last edited:

metallicaman0258

Reaction score
FYI I believe the tow capacity for these cars is about 1000lbs. Possibly up to 1200. Even if you plan on towing an insignificant amount of weight, be sure your transmission fluid is good and red and doesn't have any foul odor or foam. If you have any of that it could indicate a problem in the long run that will be exacerbated by towing something. Also make sure your fluid connections on the bottom of the radiator for the trans cooler are not leaking and the trans cooler is functioning as it should. Most importantly, be SURE your brakes are in good working order. 300lbs can make a difference in an emergency situation. I highly recommend a change of brake fluid weather it needs it or not. most of the time the brake fluid in these cars is old and filled water and almost black or dark brown when it should be an almost clear yellowish color. If you live where there are any hills then the fluid could boil at at lower temperature causing premature brake fade and even failure.

Sorry to rant on that but those are the two most strained systems when towing and nobody ever thinks to check the brake fluid. Stay safe my friend.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
FYI I believe the tow capacity for these cars is about 1000lbs. Possibly up to 1200. Even if you plan on towing an insignificant amount of weight, be sure your transmission fluid is good and red and doesn't have any foul odor or foam. If you have any of that it could indicate a problem in the long run that will be exacerbated by towing something. Also make sure your fluid connections on the bottom of the radiator for the trans cooler are not leaking and the trans cooler is functioning as it should. Most importantly, be SURE your brakes are in good working order. 300lbs can make a difference in an emergency situation. I highly recommend a change of brake fluid weather it needs it or not. most of the time the brake fluid in these cars is old and filled water and almost black or dark brown when it should be an almost clear yellowish color. If you live where there are any hills then the fluid could boil at at lower temperature causing premature brake fade and even failure.

Sorry to rant on that but those are the two most strained systems when towing and nobody ever thinks to check the brake fluid. Stay safe my friend.

Excellent advice.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
I have a receiver hitch pulled from an 88 Diplomat.

100_5849.JPG

Cordoba1

Reaction score
It was probably a terrible, terrible idea -- But back when I was in HS, I pulled my Dad's boat behind my Cordoba... I just threw on one of those L-Bracket type hitches right to the rear bumper. I never went faster than about 45 MPH, and managed to not die (or loose the boat!) .. But I would not do that again! However; pulling a light duty utility trailer should pose much of a threat if you keep your speeds low and your following distance high.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Rcmaniac791, your 5th Ave has 5-leaf springs on it?

The only ones I have seen from factory with 5-leaf springs, are station wagons and police cars (not saying yours didn’t – I just hadn’t seen one before).

A few years back, I picked a trailer hitch – for wife, for we wanted to do some traveling (this was before kids).

Let me back up a bit. The above mentioned trailer hitch came pre-attached to my ¾ ton diesel pickup.
No travel trailer (or any trailer), as of yet.

BudW

David Clark

Reaction score
I have Trailer Hitches on EVERYTHING I own, be it the Mini Van to the Dually. It's a part of Life up here. Hell even the 76 Dart has a Hitch on it (came that way) and was used by the previous owner to haul a small horse trailer with NO problems at all. Hell I've even pulled almost 4k Pounds of Cement on out wittle flatbed Trailer with the Mini Van, No problems. Now I need to track down some Hitches for the Diplomat, 5th Ave, and Aspen. We have a small 3x5 Foot Flatbed Trailer that I built for pulling behind the cars for when I need to pick up some things in town (70-110 Miles away) that I don't wanna take the Diesel Guzzling Dually into town for.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Heck David,
I'll set you up with a friend and we'll get you some helicoptor flying lessons and you can just airlift things to and from town.
bonus: you could carry water up to canada to help put out fires when its too quiet for you here in the states.

David Clark

Reaction score
LOL, sounds good to me, I got enough room for a Heli Pad LOL.

RCmaniac, Drawtite still makes a Hitch (I searched for 87 New Yorker as they had no option for Diplomat) that bolts straight on. Uses the Bumber Shock Mounting Bolts if I remember correctly, the Number for the Drawtite Hitch is 36136 but it's only a 1 1/4 hitch.

My bad, that is for the Front wheel Drive New yorkers.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score

The only ones I have seen from factory with 5-leaf springs, are station wagons and police cars (not saying yours didn’t – I just hadn’t seen one before).

A few years back, I picked a trailer hitch – for wife, for we wanted to do some traveling (this was before kids).

Let me back up a bit. The above mentioned trailer hitch came pre-attached to my ¾ ton diesel pickup.
No travel trailer (or any trailer), as of yet.

BudW

My Fifth has a 5 leaf setup too.
Not sure if it's factory or not.

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
I put the 5 leaf on myself. It came with 4 leaf and they were sagging quite badly. the rear springs and all 4 shocks have been replaced.

Trans has had a fluid change about 5,000 miles ago, and I just put on new brake lines, pads, rotors, and flushed out the brake fluid as well roughly 1,000 miles ago. Rear drums and shoes are still fine.

I have a receiver hitch pulled from an 88 Diplomat.
did you just use the inside bolts for the bumper mounts to attach that? And I suppose you fabricated that yourself, right? I do have a little hobart mig welder, so I could make one.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
No I did not make it. I removed it from the 88 Diplomat I parted last year.
I believe its a professionaly made or manufactured hitch, not a home built.
Pretty sure it did attach to the frame rail as well as the bumper shock plate bolt pictured.

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
how long is that hitch from the diplomat? Like, side to side?

Back