hood swap 78 to 80

Ed Dorey

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can put a 78 hood on a 80 car without changing the grill? I like the rounded version better than the flat ones on the later volares. The grill I have is perfect and I know those are hard to come by so I'm hoping I can keep the same grill.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm always afraid I'll hit a fly while going down the highway and shatter the grille in my '79, seriously.
Those Mexican repop grille's were about the mist horrible crap ever put on the market. Never saw one in person but did see pictures. A broken original would look better than one of those things.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I heard that they were very poor quality. Maybe that is why they failed. I bet that reasonably priced, good quality grilles would sell well.
I had found the guys making in Mexico.
I thought since Mexicans had F's, I could find grilles in Mexico.

I had dreams of importing them and making a buck.
Eric over at the other f board got one over the border for a test pc, because Mexican package shipping is a b@tch.

Too bad they where real crap, but with a Dremmel and some work, still would be better than a hole up front.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
I got some 78 and 79-80 tail light lenses from the same place...they look OK but dont have the chrome/silver plating/paint. Havent test fit them yet.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I can see how reproducing the '78-'79 grille would be a huge job. The cost of designing and tooling up, along with making all the pieces, the plating, etc.... Unless they could sell thousands of them, the cost would be prohibitive. Last I heard, an estimate for tooling alone would be in the $75,000 range, not including the engineering to make the tooling, and that was the cost a good 10 years ago. Chances of them ever being reproduced (I mean GOOD repops) is probably less than slim to none, I hate to say.

Ed Dorey

Reaction score
I'm planning using some small diameter aluminum tubing and making a grill I can powdercoat black if I can't find a good 78 one. I will have a complete 80 front clip with a perfect grill for sale here in the near future. Along with many other interior parts.

Back