Hortens & the King

My imp

Reaction score
Looks like another American firm has taken the "jump ship" approach to paying corporate taxes. By merging with Tim Hortens, Burger King dodges having to pay certain corporate taxes. May e we should all move to a foreign country to avoid paying our fair share. I think everyone would like to get all the benefits w/o having to pay for them. I like the Whopper better than the Big Mac, but I can't support a company like that. Enjoy your "Flame Broiled, not Fried" hamburgers, I won't be!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Same boat here.
Timmy's has gotten bounced around like a basketball.
First it was ours then it got sold to someone in the US.
Then we bought it back and now I don't know who's getting it.

It's the latest craze anyway.
I love how GM took all that bailout money and then shipped mostly everything to Mexico and Korea.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
its Horton's, by the way.

When one company jumps ship to avoid taxes, its the company being greedy. When many companies jump ship to avoid taxes, then one has to question the taxation levels. And by the way, Burger King is owned by a Brazilian based company called 3G.

TIm Horton's used to be Canadian owned. Then it was bought by Wendy's. Then it was divested, anf became Canadian owned again. Now, it is merging with BK, and will be headquartered in Canada. It may end up being headquartered in Canada, but I would think that they may end up moving out here; not because there is anything compelling about Calgary or Alberta, but because we have the lowest tax rates in Canada. Many head offices have moved here, including Iimperial Oil (Exxon's Canadian subsidiary). That was probably partially based on the oil and gas industry being based in Alberta, but I have no doubt that the lowered corporate and personal tax rates in Alberta were a factor.

I think it is time for politicians (around the world, not just the US and Canada) to take a long hard look at their taxation rates/policies, and try to balance the need for revenue against the possibility of driving companies (and people) away to lower tax rate locations. in the case of Burger King, the move to Canadian headquarters will immediately result in a much lower corporate tax rate, and remove the burden of the tax rate including all world wide revenue. Apple, Stanley Tools, and other companies do the same. While I understand the need for the gov't to have revenue, the gov'ts of the world are spending far beyond their income. The solution to that is not to tax more, but to spend only what is coming in. Repeatedly increasing tax rates only serves to push companies and people to lower taxation regions.

Kostas

Last edited:

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Why is Tim always in a Buffalo jersey at his joints instead of 'da Laughs'?

One night after a game in Toronto, Tim went to check out one of this places.
There was a pic of him in a Leafs jersey.
He flipped, jumped into his Pantera and sped off...only to wreck and get killed.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score

He flipped, jumped into his Pantera and sped off...only to wreck and get killed.

That's why I love ya Doc.
You're easily as nuts as I am.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
its Horton's, by the way.

When one company jumps ship to avoid taxes, its the company being greedy. When many companies jump ship to avoid taxes, then one has to question the taxation levels. And by the way, Burger King is owned by a Brazilian based company called 3G.

TIm Horton's used to be Canadian owned. Then it was bought by Wendy's. Then it was divested, anf became Canadian owned again. Now, it is merging with BK, and will be headquartered in Canada. It may end up being headquartered in Canada, but I would think that they may end up moving out here; not because there is anything compelling about Calgary or Alberta, but because we have the lowest tax rates in Canada. Many head offices have moved here, including Iimperial Oil (Exxon's Canadian subsidiary). That was probably partially based on the oil and gas industry being based in Alberta, but I have no doubt that the lowered corporate and personal tax rates in Alberta were a factor.

I think it is time for politicians (around the world, not just the US and Canada) to take a long hard look at their taxation rates/policies, and try to balance the need for revenue against the possibility of driving companies (and people) away to lower tax rate locations. in the case of Burger King, the move to Canadian headquarters will immediately result in a much lower corporate tax rate, and remove the burden of the tax rate including all world wide revenue. Apple, Stanley Tools, and other companies do the same. While I understand the need for the gov't to have revenue, the gov'ts of the world are spending far beyond their income. The solution to that is not to tax more, but to spend only what is coming in. Repeatedly increasing tax rates only serves to push companies and people to lower taxation regions.

Kostas

You are of course bang on the money....no pun intended.
The problem now is the government has bankrupted themselves so badly I'm sure they feel the only way to keep their nostrils above water is to raise the taxes continually and just in the interest of self preservation don't give a ratsass what the fallout is.

Common sense from a grade 6 education would be to do some major fat trimming....however the fat cats lining their wallets both corporate and governmental want nothing to do with that.

Conundrum to the power of 10.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
I cant stop thinking about...Tendercrisp Bacon Cheddar Ranch....Mmmm

download (1).jpg

download (1).jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score

The last team Tim Horton played for was the Buffalo Sabres. He was playing for them when he had his car accident. I think he was team captian as well.

Back