I had an interview the other day

RowanAmethyst

Reaction score
So with me getting my inspection licenses back, I decided to start job hunting. I applied for a tech position at a Firestone, and within eight hours I got a call asking if I could come in for an interview that same day. I think the interview went well, they asked me some tech questions and I'm pretty sure I answered them all correctly. I'll know Monday after next if I got the job, but I'm hopeful.

Has anyone here worked for Firestone? I'd like to know what it's like working for them.

RowanAmethyst

Reaction score
Nope but I have been interviewing also. Good Look!
Good luck to you too! This is just the first place I've applied to, I'm gonna be looking at a couple other places. I'd be starting as an entry level tech, doing very basic jobs and taking out trash and stuff like that. I don't mind though, I spent four years as a dishwasher, this will be an improvement.

slant6billy

Reaction score
My neighbor is at the Firestone on Drexel University's campus. Hit me with a PM and I'll see if I can get you some info

Darth-Car

Reaction score
You can always hit your colleagues at the shop with this line, on those really bad days, when things just will not go right; "I was looking for a really great job after getting out of school, and then I found this one.":D

slant6billy

Reaction score
Well, I didn't get the job. Oh well, back to searching.
Babe Ruth struck out more times than he hit the ball. No one remembers the strike outs. You got to keep getting up to the plate. The biggest problem I hear from shop owners and garage managers is attitude. As in the wrong attitude. There are talented wrenchers out there. However, no one is that good where they can shit on their place of employment or coworkers. There are a lot of wrenchers who can't put on a good game face, leave their problems at home and have that customer service smile. Just remember to bring your best attitude in the door and someone is going to give you the job. Good luck!

Darth-Car

Reaction score
If you are good with a computer, do not overlook the oportunity to write service. A lot of techs dream of getting out of the shop, and behind the service writer's desk. Techs make great writers, because they understand how the car works, and they can translate customer speak to shop speak, so problems are properly fixed. It is a clean environment, and usually air conditioned in the summer.

Shops, and dealerships alike are looking for women as service writers to communicate with the 50% of their client base who are women. You might just have the "A" ticket to bypass the shop environment, and go right into service writing.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Well, until you get your job, I propose we ask you questions to keep you on your toes for those tough interviews. I'll start with the first: 1) What is a dipstick?
--- Post updated ---
"Alex, I'll take fluid checking devices for $100 please"

slant6billy

Reaction score
Persistence.
Keep your chin up and keep your attitude positive.
That is key. I see younger folks everyday with some of the worse attitude towards life, their job, girlfriend or boyfriend or lack there of, and just everything. I'm not going to give a speech about "Life is hard, suck it up..." Just again: Gameface is key. Leave all your worries, problems, issues, opinions at the door. Embrace a challenge and go with change. A friend of mine is a machinist at an instrumentation company. He is constantly whining about having to use new protocols, new company management software, ... etc. Old dog won't learn new tricks. I advised him to play along. In fact he told me they started using a product made by SAP in house to manage the company. The dreaded ERP system. Some folks my know what this is and others... well let just say it is a one size fits all management tool for bosses to provide data and metrics of how much is done, how much is spent, and how long it takes. That is a summary of it generally. So I dug out my cheat sheets for ERP and put some simple instructions on flash cards (I'm old school). My friend is newer old school and put the info from the cards into his phone. It has been a few weeks, but tonight at dinner with the wives, I'm going to ask how he made out with some of the inf and if he is still struggling with the "new system". My reason for telling this, the young over educated type of upcoming management will weed out those who complain and do not conform without hesitation. New management, old management, young management don't like non-conformity. The idea here is you have to fool management into thinking they can conform you!

slant6billy

Reaction score
I mentioned your try to my neighbor who manages the Firestone on Drexel's Campus. If you are in a drive-able range to Center city Phila and can get to 33rd and Market Street, He will give you an interview, just send me a PM and I'll give you his name and number to talk to him directly. He needs someone who has their certs for inspection.

ramenth

Reaction score
Well, I didn't get the job. Oh well, back to searching.

After interviewing with Firestone? You'll be thankful you didn't get it.

Firestone, last time I heard, was a flat rate corporate shop. There's a lot of difference between a flat rate dealership and a flat rate corporate shop. Money to be made usually goes to the manager's biggest ass kiss, not the guy who's most qualified to do the job. Never been impressed with the corporate world and I've worked for three corporate shops.

Find yourself a nice mom and pop shop. They usually have the most to offer in the way of letting a new tech get her feet wet. After you get the experience under your belt, then it's time to look for a larger world.

Back