I must be insane!!

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I know I just got Modoba on the road.......but I keep thinking about a 440 again!! AAAAHHHHHHHH!! Might be putting the 360/904 up for sale. I'll let you know.

tim berry

Reaction score
you did it before ,why not this gives you the oppertunity to do the project the way you want and improve on the last one. good luck !

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Knowing you have a problem is half the battle........
There may be treatment................

Nevermind................

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Well, there is now a 440 w/509 cam on the engine stand in the garage. I have to tear it down and check it all out. Still not sure where it's going, we'll just wait and see. I couldn't pass it up so I snagged it. Buddy has a set of schumacher mounts he said he would donate to the cause if I decide to do it.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I'll probably stick with the 360 and try to get the paint and interior done before I do another engine swap......maybe, I think....

Last edited:

My imp

Reaction score
I face much the same dilemma! I too have a 440/.509 cam, short tail 4 speed w/pistol grip, A727A & B, S & BB bell housings, 8 3/4's w/ 3.23, 3.55, & a 4.10 gearset to boot, cop steering box, & a complete T-Top roof from an '82 Cordoba just waiting their turn on My Imp. If you stay 360/904, I'll buy the BB mounts off of you. Wish I had an O.D. So I could run the 4.10's. I don't have everything I need for any conversions, I need about the same for each set up. I need the typical, pedals, column, etc... Oh well, keep us posted. Larry

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Here's the low down on my 440. Did some bore measurements today and this is what I found: All bores are 4.324- 4.325 front to back and side to side. Engine has flat tops, standard bore( no overbore markings). My question for the more experienced engine builders out there is, "is .004-.005 beyond stock bore of 4.320 too much for a standard bore piston? Thanks in advance.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one ever answered this...

If the engine didn't have piston slap noise previously, I think you're probably OK. When I did my Pontiac 400 years ago, I already had new standard-bore forged pistons, but the bores needed to be cross-hatched for the new rings. It was .004"-.006" over after the honing. I expected a little piston slap, but it was as quiet as a church mouse and led a very hard life in my daily driver as well as with the two owners after me. The 440 has a very favorable rod/stroke ratio so the pistons won't see heavy side loading, and regular cast pistons are very forgiving, unlike hypereutectics.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The guy I got the motor from said it ran 12.2-12.4 in a 73 duster 3.55 gear. He built a nasty 500" stroker for it and is now in the 10's. He said there were no issues with this motor. Still gonna check the bearings, timing chain is tight, no slop.

Back