I think everything is going to be alright.

SirDenhudir

Reaction score
Hello everyone I believe I have figured out my stalling/idling issues on accident of course. lol So I was scrolling through the pics on the post here. I cant believe it, but the springs that pull my throttle back to closed weren't in the right spot. lol After I did that the car idles now not while driving or in gear but in park or neutral which is a start, I changed the o2 today and runs even smoother still no drive/in gear idle. The last steep to success is my timing, that i'll be jumping on right away tomorrow morning or this morning lol. Wish me luck and thanks for all the help guys..... Future plans and updates on whats next coming soon and even pictures maybe

brotherGood

Reaction score
If Im understand right, it idles fine in park or neutral, but when in gear it drops way down and idles poorly..right?

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Well that opens the door to carburetion,ignition timing or convertor.
Also; cylinder pressure,valve lash,and cam-timing.
Also; T-port sync,fuel level,the power-valve system, or dizzy issues.
Did I miss anything?
Where let's start?
Put a vacuum gauge on it, and let's see what's going on.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Yeah..I'd start there, and also put a vacuum gauge on it..maybe there's a leak?

brotherGood

Reaction score
I've never heardone or seen one do that. I'd pick up another one and see if maybe it was just a bad one.

Maybe it's not seated all the way too.

The squealing could be a vacuum leak

SirDenhudir

Reaction score
I've never heardone or seen one do that. I'd pick up another one and see if maybe it was just a bad one.

Maybe it's not seated all the way too.

The squealing could be a vacuum leak
See I've already tested two other PCVs and every single one rattles and squeals. I've also changed the grommet for it and vacuum line is good. But I do have an exhaust leak

brotherGood

Reaction score
Weird..I've never had one do that. Have you checked mating surfaces? Maybe the carb or intake is loose causing a vacuum leak

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
They rattle when the vacuum lifting it is equal to gravity pulling it down.For this to be happening on a running engine, the idle vacuum must be very low, or crankcase pressure very high.
They whistle as air gets sucked around the valve, again, same as above.
Idling engines stall when the vacuum falls too low to support fuel flow through the idle circuit.
For your vacuum to be as low as the symptoms suggest,or the crankcase pressure very high, there would have to be a serious issue.I don't think this low a vacuum can be caused by bad timing. But I guess you gotta rule that out.
Pop the PCV out of the cover only, and watch for smoke coming out of the grommet.There should not be any smoke, but a bit of air movement is normal.A bit. Blip the throttle, air flow will typically increase, but again;smoke means the rings are done. And that pressure will mess with the PCV.BUT, it should not affect the idle . At idle, manifold vacuum is supposed to draw that valve up into it's minimum-draw parked position. CC pressure would just keep it there. BUT if there is insufficient vacuum to pull the valve up, then you get a lot of flow through the circuit, and then you get idle problems.
So I have to think that your engine is struggling with a low vacuum condition.

Last edited:
Back