Identify an AHB in a junk yard

slant6billy

Reaction score
Ok friends, there is a small yard 45 minutes from me with a few old cars. They have an 85 FBI car Dodge Diplomat. Other than the big sway bar and 125 mph speedo? What other clues or options should I look for. This has a title and he is asking a grand. I don't know how good or bad it looks - no pics yet. I have to drive out to it possible this Friday? I'll bring my good camera - since the phone is getting more pixelated over time.

Any thoughts or help?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Rear sway bar, plates welded to the rear door jambs and welded reinforcements on the front fender braces, 4 bbl (unless there's an L in the VIN indicating heavy duty 2 bbl 318) and no top of door trim are giveaways.
And the heavy duty larger alternator.
The cop car experts can take it from there....I'm no real expert.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Um... code "AHB" on the data tag would be the first thing I'd seek.

slant6billy

Reaction score
thanks guys. I need to take a break from pool diggin and hit a car yard for mental recharge

slant6billy

Reaction score
100_2604.jpg
100_2605.jpg
Hot Dam!

It is the real deal: Data tag on inner left fender 3rd line: " AHB GFA GSB GTB HAB"

Dog dishes are all there and 125 mph speedo. Front end is perfect with a good grille. She has the rear sway bar folks. I thought the drums were 11", but did not confirm with out pulling off a back wheel. It is a 318 2BBL AHB. Hell yeah. The bad... 7 cars deep in. It will take some do'in

100_2604.jpg

100_2605.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
The guy who owns it and the yard was really busy- so I did not want to jerk him around. I stated the important stuff up front: How are we getting it out and how long and when? I'll call him next week to see what is the deal. He stated he was short handed. well, I've been called short all my life- so perhaps I could get some hours on nights and weekends at his shop. That could really work out now - wouldn't it though? He has a 73 Duster too. Dam good day friends.

slant6billy

Reaction score
It has the smaller AC pump- I guess that is the Sanden model type? Vice the big V twin compressor. the squirrels made a nest on the intake. I wonder what other surprises there are? I think I hear one vote from he Cap'n to put it on the road. Or is this a parts donor? Any votes for donor parts or restore this AHB?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It has the smaller AC pump- I guess that is the Sanden model type? Vice the big V twin compressor. the squirrels made a nest on the intake. I wonder what other surprises there are? I think I hear one vote from he Cap'n to put it on the road. Or is this a parts donor? Any votes for donor parts or restore this AHB?

If the frame is good I'd put any AHB on the road.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Can't tell just yet. I figure once it is up on the trailer, I'll get a see. I'd crawl up under, but I don't like ticks much. Had to pull 2 out of my kid already this spring. We got them here. I found the lonestar tick in my driveway several times doing the first oil change of the spring year after year. I'm hoping by the top evidence, it is solid. I'd add the crash bar and maybe the spotlight (its removed). With a 125 mph speedometer, we have to see if it will hit it. That would be what it was designed for.

brotherGood

Reaction score
I'm with capt..if it's solid, it's a keeper. Looks like a good find though..bring quarters for the wash on the way home.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Something bugged me about the spotlight hole. It is barely a hole big enough for any spotlight I ever saw. I used to get a good amount of cop cars 20 years ago trough the station I managed. It would really muk up the A pillar. This is a 1/8 inch hole. I need to find out some history on the car too. FED cars would be better maintained than that of a local municipal or State trooper duty. If the title shows less than 37 K, it would make sense as a FED car. I've seen pickup trucks and vans in the US Gov pool sit and sit without ever being used. This could be one of those "hardly used" AHBs. I might need to go smoke a cigarette .

NoCar340

Reaction score
I would also vote to put it on the road. However, if it's a 2V car rest assured--tagging the end of the speedo will remain a pipe dream.

All Mopars went to the small AC compressor in '78-'79. I had a '78 Cordoba 400-4V several years back that had the small compressor. I kind of wish I'd kept the bracketry from that engine but I sold it complete, air-cleaner-to-oil-pan, fan-to-tailshaft.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Yeah, if it's solid and all there, I'd put it on the road too. Maybe put a paxton on it and a plate that says HTPRSUT.

Back