Ignition wire routing question....

Davesmopar

Reaction score
I am running Hooker Headers and want to know how others are running your ignition wires to number 5 and 7 plugs and straight or 90 degree boots.....

I am Not looking for a better Header, I have to use these due to budget issues right now.....so please don't post about TTI headers etc. Etc.....

I am running 8mm Accel Super Stock (I think) wires and I am pretty sure either 5 or 7 is breaking down, I can feel and hear the engine is not quite right and down on power.... so I am looking for new wires, I am running a MSD 6AL with a 50K coil....
Again Not changing my whole ignition system just the wires..... lol

What High Performance wires are you guys running.... (I know I just opened pandora box).....

XfbodyX

Reaction score
You need to ditch the hookers and get some TTI units. :) :(

I use the MSD wires on a couple rides and they are straight and have used the same wires on tti, headman, and even the cheaper china headers.

I know msd makes them for either type dist. cap. Oem or the male tip type cap. And are ok priced on ebay.

But I see you can replace your current yellow buzzers for $21

8mm Spark Plug Wire 4047 273 318 340 360 Chrysler Small Block Mopar Dodge V8 | eBay

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I should read things slower. You were asking how people run them. I just run them over the VC and use the cheap plastic separators. I cant stand the long long kits that some use and run under the header and up and around.

Camtron

Reaction score
I use MSD Street Fire HIE wires with straight, plug boots going over the top of the valve covers to the plugs, Same as xfobodyx, also used a Mr.Gasket plastic wire separator kit they had at, Autozone. Have had them on the car for about 9 months without issue or damage from my headers.

Davesmopar

Reaction score
I wound up cutting the bad end off and re crimping end back on.... works as it should.....

However I lost 1/2 the cylinders at low rpm..... right side of the carburetor idle circuit just died..... I think it was my fault possibly...... new kit ordered

Aspen500

Reaction score
If the boots and wire closest to the plugs has a problem with header heat, a set of boot heat sleeves will take care of it.
DSCF0004.JPG

charlesvolare

Reaction score
I'm running Taylor ThunderVolt 8.2mm wires, straights for now with sleeves, but eventually planning on getting 90's and going over the pipe with sleeves. When I do that I'll probably just get two individual wires and put the 90 boots on myself.
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190617181734003_COVER.jpg

Duke5A

Reaction score
When I had a small block running the straight boots for #5 and #7 between the pipe and valve cover would always result in torched boots for me. Get the wires longer and run them on the outside with 45 or 90 degree boots facing downward. Tie them up so the excess doesn't land on the pipe.

Back