Imperial HEI conversion, where to put the ICM and Coil?

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
My Mopar electronic ignition control gave up while sitting over the winter, and I have decided to put an HEI in the car.

The question is where to place the new parts.. Wanting to put them on the firewall, but there is very little room that does not already have something there.

I'm leaning towards having the HEI module next to the brake booster and the ignition coil next to the Voltage Regulator on the far side of the engine.

Any suggestions or insight as to better places to hang these parts?

Hayzoos

Reaction score
I saw somebody install the module inside the gutted case of the Mopar module. Cooling the module may be tricky but Stealth. You can get a coil that would work for HEI but fit and look like the OEM. Stealth again. I would still consider mounting an "E"-core coil in the stock location.

Hayzoos

Reaction score
I think the stock coil location varies. On my 5th Ave it is on the passenger side inner fender below the washer fluid resivior near the firewall.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Its either in the hard to reach spot down on the inner fender or on the intake behind the air cleaner.

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
I think the stock coil location varies. On my 5th Ave it is on the passenger side inner fender below the washer fluid resivior near the firewall.

Ok, Thank you. I will go looking in that direction for something that works.
Its either in the hard to reach spot down on the inner fender or on the intake behind the air cleaner.

I can't see how I can fit it behind the air cleaner... Tho a 2BBL may give more room in this area? I am probably stuck with a spot on the firewall just to the right and below the round brace that goes out to the fender. There is a bit of room but it is not much fun, especially for side of the road repairs if they ever happen..

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Yeah down the passenger inner fender underneath the window washer fluid reservoir is a great way to have a window washer reservoir leak all over your coil. It also accumulates junk.

I think they were mounted sideways on the intake before they ended up on the passenger inner fender.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I can't see how I can fit it behind the air cleaner... Tho a 2BBL may give more room in this area? I am probably stuck with a spot on the firewall just to the right and below the round brace that goes out to the fender. There is a bit of room but it is not much fun, especially for side of the road repairs if they ever happen..

Ok not behind, under. The bracket bolts to the 2 "towers" rear passenger side.
I think it moved to the fender in the 80s.

20230611_213753.jpg

Voeltagear

Reaction score

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I definitely like that spot better then the one on the fender which is a pain to get to.. I went through that on another car today.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
There's also a huge debate on oil vs epoxy coils and mounting them sideways, but I think that's just more internet garbage like when people say Fram makes bad filters or Amsoil is worth the price

Duke5A

Reaction score
There's also a huge debate on oil vs epoxy coils and mounting them sideways, but I think that's just more internet garbage like when people say Fram makes bad filters or Amsoil is worth the price

No debates here: Fram does make make shit filters, open one up sometime. And oil filled coils will leak after time if mounted sideways. The Blaster II coils don't last long in that orientation unless they're epoxy filled. This is personal experience.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
No debates here: Fram does make make shit filters, open one up sometime. And oil filled coils will leak after time if mounted sideways. The Blaster II coils don't last long in that orientation unless they're epoxy filled. This is personal experience.
Certain brands state not to mount them horizontally. But as long as the terminals are horizontal and not vertical when the coil is laying on its side, most oil coil brands can be mounted horizontally. I mean, a Model A coil is upside down and horizontal was the preferred mounting method across all major car makes for decades.

Camtron

Reaction score
Only after market failure thats left me stranded was a, Blaster II coil that burnt up. Had it mounted horizontal on the intake.
MSD list not mounting it horizontal in the, product warning at the bottom of the instruction sheet instead of in the actual install instruction portion of the sheet.
The Blaster II coil, specifically, doesn’t have enough oil in it to keep the coil submerged when mounted horizontal, it over heats, leaks what little oil it does have and then burns out.

Proprietary designs and such. They’re all the same but still different.

ASPEN79RT

Reaction score
My Mopar electronic ignition control gave up while sitting over the winter, and I have decided to put an HEI in the car.

The question is where to place the new parts.. Wanting to put them on the firewall, but there is very little room that does not already have something there.

I'm leaning towards having the HEI module next to the brake booster and the ignition coil next to the Voltage Regulator on the far side of the engine.

Any suggestions or insight as to better places to hang these parts?
In the right or passenger side next to windshield wipers water tank, there are 2 nuts where the module goes. Exact fit and easy to wire it.

Back