Introducing New Member: 6thGenImperial

6thGenImperial

Reaction score
Greetings. Had an issue with the confirmation email. Finally got that squared. Anyway, recently got an '83 Imperial. Seller claimed 26,000 miles, and stored for most of the past 30 years. Shows some weathering, but the chassis and mechanicals look OEM and relatively fresh. The previous owner got it at an estate sale, but the EFI had him stumped, and before he gave up he'd set it on fire accidentally by pouring gas into the throttle body and trying to start it with the lid off. It backfired, then he couldn't get the fire out, so it burned the wiring harness and the control unit for the pump. I can see taking it back to EFI if the parts appear, but to me, it's about driving, so I am currently doing a careful non-destructive conversion to carb. No new holes drilled, no wires cut or spliced. Can't get the dash to illuminate, but it looks like the pink power feed wire is not connected....someone's been in there messing around. I think it's amazing that these 318 cars have 360 top-ends, and the only 360 intakes I've ever seen that have no choke well, and the EGR on the passenger side. It's been a big new learning arena. I was big on the Mirada back then, but had totally missed the Imperial, and had no idea they'd fielded an EFI then. Would love to do some upgrades, but for now I just want to get it running.

'83 Imp ext shot.jpg

Back