Introducing New Member: 71Newp

71Newp

Reaction score
Hi, I love Mopars. My first car was a 1971 Chrysler Newport and I currently own a 1976 Cordoba. I belong to fbbo and fcbo and usually just lurk here. While doing a recent browse on c-list I spotted a 1979 Volare for sale not too far from me. Yes, I know about frome rail rust, and yes, this car has it. So, I thought I would join here and try to get some details on how difficult it is to mend these. Thanks for any input and/or links to previous threads.
Tim

Justwondering

Reaction score
Welcome Tim...
There are several volare owners here, so you'll be in great hands. I'm just starting out with an 87 fifth avenue, so I'm no help to you... but those volares do look tempting.

Could you add the craigslist post so we can see what you are considering?

Justwondering

Reaction score
beautiful car ... however, you are right to suspect rust given its location and winter weather.
Grill looks like its in good shape and I know those are expensive to replace. Plaid on passenger seat has given way.
No pictures of the undercarriage. Drats..

That engine bay is much cleaner than mine was.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Is it a big deal to go look at it and get pictures of the undercarriage, rails, trunk, etc?

Justwondering

Reaction score
I'm just wondering about the pictures for the rails because some issues seem to be relatively straightforward to fix and others seem like you have to do fixes with the frame off.
Greater minds will be here with you shortly.

71Newp

Reaction score
Unfortunately it would be a big trip to see it. The current owner says it is the passenger side rail that is bad. A description of what damage is a big job verses what damage is a REALLY BIG job would be great. Thanks again

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Welcome aboard.
Thar does look like a nice score.

Basically if you weld or have a buddy it's not as bad as it could be. If the front rail is bad but still there enough to weld to you can patch it. One way is to get a Saf T Cap from auto-rust.

Also lucky for you is the fact that one of our members is @F body Deconstructor Jim who has pretty much anything you need as far as sheet metal, frame rails and floor pans.

There's lots of resources for your potentially new F body.

And once again.
Welcome.

Back