Introducing New Member: '80 'doba LS

'80 'doba LS

Reaction score
I need to figure out why my brake pedal goes to the floor and there are no brakes. I don't know if it's a vacuum thing or booster. I don't see any leaks under the car.

'80 'doba LS

Reaction score
The pedal went to the floor before I even started the car for the first time. There was no pressure in the pedal. The pedal would come back up after I released it. I pumped it like 20 times and it still was the same. When I started it, it was still the same. I don' t know when the last time this car ran or what the brake situation was before I got it. There's nobody to give me this information. I will pull the wheels and check in there. I have to do it anyhow.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Your car looks great too! I know that Cragar's cost $167/ea from Summit. Just wasn't sure if my rims were worth the money. I do like the look of them though. I wish I could find good bumper fillers/corners for the rear.

You can polish the wheels out on your own, if money is tight. Unless you want to spend an eternity trying to get the super tough clear coat/epoxy paint off, consider abrasive blasting the coating off (DO NOT USE SAND). The Eastwood guys recommended crushed glass, which is what I used, followed by sanding with 400 grit, then 600 grit, then 1000 grit (all wet/dry sandpaper, used wet, of course). Finally, polished out with Flitz polish and their Buff Ball. This is what I used, but there are other polishes out there that will work just fine.

Last edited:

Joe12459

Reaction score
The pedal went to the floor before I even started the car for the first time. There was no pressure in the pedal. The pedal would come back up after I released it. I pumped it like 20 times and it still was the same. When I started it, it was still the same. I don' t know when the last time this car ran or what the brake situation was before I got it. There's nobody to give me this information. I will pull the wheels and check in there. I have to do it anyhow.
Sounds like a bad master cylinder. It's probably leaking into the booster, although sometimes the rubber inside rots or tears without leaking. Just a side note, I changed three "new" master cylinders on my son's car before I got one that worked. I guess they dried out from sitting on the shelf for 25 years.

'80 'doba LS

Reaction score
I hope that I can find the parts that I need to finish it. Lots of concern about the rear bumper fillers and the quality of them.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Hey '80 'doba LS: Do your wipers work? The mechanism that pulls the wipers under the hood is another, known weak spot on J-Bodies. If yours work, consider yourself lucky!

'80 'doba LS

Reaction score
I haven't got that far with it yet. I just got it running yesterday. Need to get a battery for it. The one that I used to start it with is too big inside the battery box and the terminals are on opposite sides. I'll let you know.

'80 'doba LS

Reaction score
Well, that part worked on the wipers except only one wiper (driver's side) was working. The passenger side must have fell off. I'll have to fix it.

Has anybody had any luck making the rear bumper filler out of metal?

Back