Introducing New Member: csmrol

csmrol

Reaction score
Just bought 81 Dodge Mirada CMX, 26,000 +or - miles, 318,edelbrock intake ,4 barrel, cheater dual exhaust .Love the car, geez these things are tough to find parts!

csmrol

Reaction score
s-l1600 2.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Nice looking car. Close to mine, but mine is red, and the paint on it is quite oxidzed, and the edge moldings on mine have shrunk and the seam threads n the vinyl top have come apart, along with a variety of smaller exterior issue. Mine is pretty much the same, 318-4BBL, red interior.

Parts are hard to come by. Most of the mechanical parts are common to most of the other F and M bodies, but the trim pieces are a real struggle.

Last edited:

Joe12459

Reaction score
Welcome aboard! That is one sweet ride! Yes, parts are hard to come by, so anytime you see any you have to scoop them up!

csmrol

Reaction score
Nice looking car. Close to mine, but mine is red, and the paint on it is quite oxidzed, and the edge moldings on mire have shrunk and the seam threads n the vinyl top have come apart, along with a variety of smaller exterior issue. Mine is pretty much the same, 318-4BBL, red interior.

Parts are hard to come by. Most of the mechanical parts are common to most of the other F and M bodies, but the trim pieces are a real struggle.

csmrol

Reaction score
I used a good hot glue with gorilla glue sticks on my seams.Get a gluegun with the extra small,long tip. Make sure you get the folds right,keep pressure on seam,small 4-5 inch sections at a time.Worked good on mine

kkritsilas

Reaction score
My big [rovlem is that they have shrunk, and are now too short to glue back/ Trying to stretch them out feels like it will break them. I thin the combination of sitting outside for many years, exposed to UV is what has created the problem. I think the entire edging will need to be replaced. Other problem is that I don't know of a source for it, factory or not. Ideal would be to get a really good interior/upholstery shop to replace the edging and redo the original stitching to match the existing holes, but I don't have that kind of money.

I've done some work on the oxidized paint, to the point that I can see that the existing paint can be brought back to life. I'm going to be starting that process next spring. i've spend a lot of time researching paint detailing/rejuvenation, and a lot of time watching videos on Youtube (especially Junkman2000's). Getting the equipment and materials to start this up in the spring. I'm going to be polishing out more wheels during the winter.

Joe12459

Reaction score
My Son was in the same boat with his CMX. The roof trim was too far gone to save, and he doesn't have the money to have it professionally repaired yet. For now, he used this plastic push on edging, 1/8" x 3/4" Black Edge Lock Trim Vinyl Trailer RV Boat Seal Permanent Grip | eBay . It obviously isn't original, but it looks clean and neat, and it works well to keep the roof together until he can afford an professional repair.
My big [rovlem is that they have shrunk, and are now too short to glue back/ Trying to stretch them out feels like it will break them. I thin the combination of sitting outside for many years, exposed to UV is what has created the problem. I think the entire edging will need to be replaced. Other problem is that I don't know of a source for it, factory or not. Ideal would be to get a really good interior/upholstery shop to replace the edging and redo the original stitching to match the existing holes, but I don't have that kind of money.

I've done some work on the oxidized paint, to the point that I can see that the existing paint can be brought back to life. I'm going to be starting that process next spring. i've spend a lot of time researching paint detailing/rejuvenation, and a lot of time watching videos on Youtube (especially Junkman2000's). Getting the equipment and materials to start this up in the spring. I'm going to be polishing out more wheels during the winter.

Back