Introducing New Member: Dr.Go!

Dr.Go!

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome JW. I am 59 and new to figuring out how all of this forum stuff works. I got the nick name from someone when I was a youngster amateur racing snowmobiles and I guess it stuck... he said I had a problem with an obsession for speed (no speeding tickets on an ice oval race track!). I was born into a Mopar family. My only "performance" car was the $300 1972 Chrysler Town and Country 9 passenger wagon I bought from Dad so I would have a work car... it had the 440 - 4 barrel ... pretty fast for a tank! about 10 mpg - yikes! I am here to learn.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Dr Go! --
You have any mopars in the garage right now, or just in the planning stage?

I'm thinking we need to see a picture of you on the snowmobile and the oval track... just saying.
JW

Dr.Go!

Reaction score
just planning. I wrecked 2 of my brothers mopars back in the day. first flipped and totaled my parents...soon to be my brothers 1970 Duster. Then a year later got hit driving his 76 roadrunner ... my fault again (both 318 cars)... That run of bad luck made it impossible for me to own a "cool" car as I was paying over $1,200 per year in 1979 for just liability insurance on a 1972 Chrysler town and country wagon with 90,000 miles I bought from Dad for $300. Insurance company didn't know the wagon had a 440 in it. If I ever figure out how to post pictures, I will post the wrecked duster and snowmobile race sleds. Someday I would like a simple 318 daily driver like a diplomat, Magnum, corinthian cordoba. I can't afford a muscle car or too nice of a car... just a clean grandma/grandpa car would work so I can pull a fishing boat like I used to do with a car. I rode in a few and they fit a big guy pretty well.

Dr.Go!

Reaction score
IMG_7396.jpg
H
IMG_7391.jpg
IMG_7392.jpg
IMG_7393.jpg
Here is one picture of the 1976 Mercury Snow Twister 440 Factory Mod sled I raced that used 126 octane fuel with clutch engagement at 8,000rpm and ran at 11,500 wide open. I forgot ear plugs for one race and thought I would lose my hearing. Sadly - hear is my brother's duster I rolled and hit a utility pole at that fender/tire while up side down and flying 10' off the ground... not good. The car landed up side down and through me out and knocked me out right next to it. I could have easily been crushed. I have a large scar to always remind me as I didn't know I had internal bleeding until the next morning...then emergency surgery to remove a destroyed Spleen torn in half by impact with the steering wheel into my gut. Got super lucky I didn't bleed out in my sleep in the hospital. The even crazier part was that I was listening to Led Zeppelin on an 8-track...and the first thing I heard when I came to was "Nobody's Fault But Mine!" at full volume... needless to say it was true as I was an inexperienced driver and hit a big dip in a road in a curve and the car upweighted and landed on the gravel shoulder and high speed... the window was down and the last thing I remember was the car rolling and seeing the ground right at my face before being knocked out. I truly am thankful for every day I am alive after that.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Now that's a major situation!
Great pictures and what an amazing story. Did your brother ever forgive you for wacking out his Duster?
So glad you got the help you needed at the hospital.
Most I've done is back into a tree, drive over several curbs, and I hit a deer one day and a wild hog one night.
Deer mangled the front grill.
Wild Hog was like slamming into a short brick wall. Dang thing was hit by the front bumper -- shoved my truck to the center line. It was squealing loud as it trotted slowly off. Was about 250 pounds of hog. Dented my front bumper.
No hospital stays like you though.
JW

Dr.Go!

Reaction score
Your accidents were no fun either. Since the car was still my Dad's (brother put on the Mags and was going to buy it), so instead he was able to buy his first car (a 1976 Spitfire Orange Roadrunner). Sadly I was driving that one frosted window night and didn't see a car in my blind spot...when I took a right turn, I got Tee Boned and put the car up on 2 wheels it hit so hard...punched in right behind the door and blew out the passenger window. Almost $2,000 of damage back in 1976. He was not happy, but insurance fixed it. 4 years later I was driving his new Z1r !000 (because my bike was waiting on parts), and a drunk driver pulled out in front of me... I tee boned that tiny Honda Civic at about 55mph. totaled the car and the bike...luckily I stood up and the impact made me bend the handlebars forward and broke off the spark plugs with my shins...I flew over the car and quite far and got skinned up and bruised badly, but no broken bones. Never more sore in my life for a week or more...did have to have blacktop scrubbed out of my entire forearm... Very Painful like on fire. Drunk driver was found guilty, paid his $500 bail and skipped town back to Texas... never paid a dime so my brothers insurance had to replace the bike... it was 3 months old. Don't know why my Dad or Brother didn't kill me or disown me, but lucky they didn't. I was extremely lucky the cycle accident didn't kill me. Like I said - I am thankful for every day!

Justwondering

Reaction score
You should have a movie made about all your accidents.
Lets get Bruce Willis (from his younger years) to play you.
He could pull it off.

lol
JW

Duke5A

Reaction score
You should have a movie made about all your accidents.
Lets get Bruce Willis (from his younger years) to play you.
He could pull it off.

lol
JW

Bruce Willis uses Crown Victorias to take out helicopters. Going to be a high bar to get over with that comparison. :)

Dr.Go!

Reaction score
I can't compete with the Movies or Bruce Willis. However, I did also survive an electrocution accident at work when someone removed my lockout and tuned on the breaker to what I was working on...my muscles were locked onto the wire and my pliers and it took all of the adrenaline I could muster to get off of it. Before the motorcycle accident, I survived a diving accident with only crushing my nose and skull above my teeth instead of breaking my neck. I have broken 15 bones over time. The year I wrecked the Duster, I also broke my upper arm in half(facing backwards broken) and broke my nose 3 separate times during Basketball season. I am sure my parents were over it and wanted to trade me in on a less reckless child... as I said - I am very fortunate.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
i have had ab electric shock incident in the past, but nothing like your adventures.

Way back when, I used to work on switching power supplies. I am working away on one, and it was mis-wired in the High Voltage section (this design had a voltage tripler on the input side, so basically, it was sitting at somewhere around 500-540 Vdc). When I reached around the backside of the power supply to take some measurements, as per the test procedure, the high voltage cap discharged through me. The discharge sent me backwards, flipping me back , and I was passed out. When the assembly people heard my chair hit the floor, they called for help. I don't know how long I was out, but I woke up wondering why my boss was slapping me in the face. I came to, and my boss ordered me to go sit down in the company cafeteria for 3 hours, bought me a few Cokes, and I went back to work after that. They later disassembled the power supply and found out where the wiring mistakes were. Changed the assembly and test procedures.

Dr.Go!

Reaction score
Wow, that sounds very painful. Glad you are here to tell the story. glad we are here enjoying cars... take care!

Back