Is finding parts for "FMJ' Bodies as fun as finding parts for 'C' Bodies?

53ryder

Reaction score
Been sorta lurking here. I own an 'A' Body and I have a 'C' Body. Been looking at FMJ bodies on Craigslist here in the Puget Sound area, which has me wondering if I pick up a Volare and/or a Diplomat will I have any luck finding parts for them! Looking for parts for the Monaco can be a chore. Not many aftermarket companies supplying parts for 'C' bodies. How is chasing parts for 'FMJ' bodies in general? Just curious before I take the plunge!

Glenn Ryder

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It varies with which particular car you're talking about..
I can almost trip over Fifth Ave parts to a point...
Volare grilles are like finding gold and almost as expensive.
Between the resources and people I've found here I can almost always find what I'm looking for but price and availability differ depending on what car you're talking about..

Depends on year too.
But in a nutshell....I'd say it's a lot easier finding parts for these cars than a C.

And besides.....you have a hell of a resource right here....

Last edited:

53ryder

Reaction score
You're very right about a "hell of a resource"! And yes...getting 'C' parts can be tough. Thanks for the tips!

Glenn

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Not a problem.
There's a lot of resources for these cars.
Aspen Volare parts....certain ones anyway seem a bit harder to cone by than say an 80's Dip or Fifth Ave (that body style.
My Caravelle is basically a stripped 78 Dip.
That era of M is getting difficult to find certain parts for too.
Try to find a 78 Dip/Caravelle grille.......yikes!
But for these cars grilles are tough because nobody's making repops.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Windshields for a J body are also really hard to get. Rear fender extensions for both Miradas and Cordobas are not easy to get, either. Neither are good grilles for a Cordoba, or the chrome slats in the grille area of a Mirada. Just pointing out some of the harder parts to find.

Kostas

DCAspen

Reaction score
They made a helluva lot more Aspens/Volares than J body cars

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Original question was for FMJ body cars, not just F bodies. He may end up with an F, an M, or possibly even a J (or Imperial, which is a J, or some refer to them as a Y). Really just wanted to point out the harder to find parts on J if he does decide to go that way.

Kostas

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
80's Dips, Gran Fury's and Fifth's are probably the easiest to find parts for as far as grilles and other "decorative" components.
Engine and drivetrain it's pretty much the same across the board.
I would agree that out of the three J's are the toughest to get certain parts for.
Filler panels explode just by looking at them apparently so that's a definite tough ticket item...and as I mentioned, grilles for F's are tough to find at a non ridiculous price if you can find an unbroken one at all.
The same for J's....

53ryder

Reaction score
Am waiting to hear back from a seller on a '87 Gran Fury. Also have a soft spot for a Volare wagon!

Glenn

L98TPI

Reaction score
I am just happy to have granny's 5TH. Which is is fairly good shape and relatively low miles. The paint and soft top need attention though. I hope when the time comes there is someone left that can redo the top.

ramenth

Reaction score
Am waiting to hear back from a seller on a '87 Gran Fury. Also have a soft spot for a Volare wagon!

Glenn

If you're looking at going the M-body route, I'll point out a few places I've had issues with in finding parts. The A-pillar covers disintegrated in sunlight. Those are hard to come by unless you can score a set from a 5th Ave. The 5th wrapped 'em in cloth. Tear the cloth off and you've got new plastic underneath.

For some reason I had the hardest time finding a clean left taillight assembly. I was on the hunt for years before I found one. Each one I found was good for a driver, even in NYS where inspection laws say no white light can shine through the red, but each one I found, including on all my parts car, had hair line cracks in the lenses or the back up lenses was out of place. I have a ton of clean right lenses, but only one left lens I consider worthy of a show car.

Header panels are getting scarce for the Dip/Gran Fury, but not impossible to find.

Other than that, all mechanical parts are off the shelf.

Back