Its been a ride

brotherGood

Reaction score
Well, after almost 11 years, I've finally decided to move on from my AHB. Had it out to go pick up breakfast, and had a bad enough shake that I turned around and took it home.

I'm fairly certain I know what it is, but the fact of the matter is this; I just dont have time to devote to it anymore. It doesn't get driven but maybe 8 hours out of the year, and every time I feel like I'm about to finally turn the corner, I hit another series of curves that slow me down.

Fortunately, my Dad wouldn't let me sell it to anyone but him..so it'll still be around, I'll still get to wrench when I have time, only it'll be driven much more often. I never thought I'd get rid of it, but it deserves better. I told him all I wanted to see happen was him make a pass down the dragstrip and a pull on the dyno.

I'm going to start saving as much as I can for when my truck is paid off (itll only be 10 years) then I'm going after something newer. If time frees up and I can wrench again, the wife wants a Wrangler so I guess that'll fill the void.

I still plan on sticking around, primarily to help others..but also because the community has been good to me over the years, and I'm not completely out (Dad doesn't know much about these).

I'll probably clear out any remnants of inventory I have that he doesn't want at next to nothing, so be on the lookout for a few sale ads.

Screenshot_20200921-125129_Instagram.jpg

Sub03

Reaction score
Nice you're keeping it in the family.

Good to hear you'll still be around. I've been reading your posts with great interest.

Duke5A

Reaction score
You sure you want to do this? I've had those same thoughts before. We all have. I almost did sell it after I grenaded the motor in 2007. Cruising around yesterday on my ceremonial end of summer round the car started spitting and sputtering on the entire way home. This shit happens dude. Just be sure about throwing in the towel.

brotherGood

Reaction score
You sure you want to do this? I've had those same thoughts before. We all have. I almost did sell it after I grenaded the motor in 2007. Cruising around yesterday on my ceremonial end of summer round the car started spitting and sputtering on the entire way home. This shit happens dude. Just be sure about throwing in the towel.
I've had the thoughts stemming from frustration for years..ha. Ive just come to realize that for the foreseeable future, I'm not going to have time to do what needs done. Im banking on another pulling of the intake this winter, to do all lifters and pushrods from sitting, the more I get under it, the worse the rust gets (my garage isn't very well sealed anyway) and once all of that plus the shake are handled, I can finally start on the "off-season 2017" list.. lol

I put forth the ultimatum when I booked the power tour (well before the virus) that I'd make it or I'd sell it. After the mad thrash before both dates, only to have it canceled, Im just done.

The thing Ive got going for me (even though Ive already got my eyes set on whats next) is that it's going to dad. So I'll still be involved, Ill hopefully finally see a time slip and dyno sheet, and I'll still be able to take it and go do some gnarly burnouts for my daughter (she loves burnouts..ha)

I'll probably keep the 5.9 on the stand, just for something to do when I really get bored (as if the amount of home improvement will somehow subside) but who knows whats next.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
This is the reason I have so many projects. Well that and I like cars LOL. I get frustrated with things never going right with one but I know I'd regret selling it or wouldn't be able to get my money back because lets face it we're not talking about muscle cars here that everyone wants. So it leave it and move onto something else.
I like new stuff because there's usually never much wrong and fuel injection is so much nicer then dealing with weather picky carbunators but then it gets boring after a while too because there's nothing to do on them.
My dad has also taken over cars of mine before and it ends up being a win-win because I still get use of them without the headaches!!!

brotherGood

Reaction score
This is the reason I have so many projects. Well that and I like cars LOL. I get frustrated with things never going right with one but I know I'd regret selling it or wouldn't be able to get my money back because lets face it we're not talking about muscle cars here that everyone wants. So it leave it and move onto something else.
I like new stuff because there's usually never much wrong and fuel injection is so much nicer then dealing with weather picky carbunators but then it gets boring after a while too because there's nothing to do on them.
My dad has also taken over cars of mine before and it ends up being a win-win because I still get use of them without the headaches!!!
I've been limited on the amount of cars I can have.. haha. Had a Sweptline that was almost mine and February, and unfortunately the vehicle cap conversation kept me from pursuing it further.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Man...tough to see you "go", but by all means, stick around, enjoy the nice group of folks we have here.

Look, I will 2nd Mark's sentiment...guess what, my coupe started getting harder and harder to start ohh about the last 3-4 times I took it out for a little spin. I started to suspect the dreaded Carter TQ fuel bowl leak, but man just didn't feel like pulling the carb, taking it all apart to check, etc. this late in the season. I sort of thought: let's limp this puppy along for another couple of weeks, literally maybe 1 or 2 outings.

Well, today it just flat out REFUSED to start!!! Uggghhh....????

Quick spark check showed nuthin'...nada, zippo, dead. So I grabbed my spare ECU, tossed that on to replace the MP Chrome box I've been using for ohh geez, like the past 10 yrs, ever since I got the coupe back on the road. Fired right UP!!!

Point is, you never know. But I also understand the feeling of getting frustrated with things.

I will tell you this: when I got my degree, having been away for nearly 3 years from the Mopar stuff I lived and breathed while in high-school, starting my "new life" and all that, I thought I was walking away from this hobby for good. Things sat for a while (like 2-3 yrs) before I went back to it. Once I did, and once my situation allowed me to get back to it the WAY I wanted to get to it, on my terms, on my time, in my shop, well, it made all the difference.

Umm...this response of mine is getting to be a bit long, so the point is: the ride is going to your dad, that means it'll be around. If he ever decides to let it go, make sure he keeps you in the loop. If this particualr vehicle isn't "THE one", you never know, there could be another one just around the corner that might make for a better starting point!

brotherGood

Reaction score
Dad came and picked it up Thursday night, and the moment he fired it up I had a slight question because of how good it sounds. Once he started backing out of the garage and I saw the spots under it, I realized I was doing the right thing.

He's worked on it a bit since Thursday, and it sounds like he's getting somewhere with it, and its finally getting the attention it's needed.

I'm not going away, nor am I moving on from the hobby. That car has changed my life more than anything else I've ever gotten into. While I'm not sure what'll be in the garage next, I'll still be going to shows, wrenching, etc. I've thrown around the idea of keeping the 5.9 in the garage and building it just for the heck of it. Can't guarantee I'll find another $500 car, or even have a truck offered to me for free again, but I'll do something with it.

brotherGood

Reaction score
I guess Ill throw the update in here first, but since getting rid of the car I've actually had more success wrenching on it than I had in a LONG time.

Addressed some tuning issues and have it much better, aside from now the electric choke doesn't work. Switched back to the M style booster (had K car booster) and it has supposedly fixed the brake problems.

Dad is finally going to start living like he's retired, and wants to "restore" it come spring. Were gonna put new lifters in and fix the choks..at that point the engine is done. Gotta rebleed brakes, have the trans rebuilt (only thing untouched at least since 2010) and he wants to put the dash back to factory, and put heat back in it.

Ill probably be back in here posting once we do that, as its been a whole since I tore everything out.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Little update:

Dad sent me a text this afternoon saying the car is (finally) going in for a trans rebuild. In addition to the rebuild, they're going to check pinion angle, replace the trans mount, add a shift kit and also put a new, higher stall converter in it. Based on what he (the mechanic) was saying, it sounds like the drive ability issues that have plagued the car for the last 5 years or so are heavily influenced by the lack of converter in there currently.

After the car gets back, it's getting a new cam/lifter/pushrod setup, followed by a new interior fixing my inexperienced hackery.

Even though it's not mine, I'm still not only hands on with the planning, but also the execution..and can't wait to see the end result.

Stay tuned.....

brotherGood

Reaction score
Well this aged well (shoutout SSI)

Where were at now doesn't look nearly as promising. Due to financial setbacks for Dad (again, shoutout SSI) he's actually thinking he's going to need to sell the car.

Before that happens, we'll be replacing the interior to help it sell..and I may go ahead and just fix all the other stuff (converter, Trans mount, lifters, pushrods) so that it can finally be enjoyed before sending it on its way.

The annoying thing is now that I've gotten the Olds together, I'm itching to tackle this car to see how they run against eachother..as well as the fact my neighbor has a Hemi police car in the weeds that I'd love to shove the driveline into the Diplomat (computer and all)

Again...shoutout SSI

brotherGood

Reaction score
Thanks to one of the long time good guys, we now have a nearly complete interior to put into the AHB.

I need to get a gray to match as he was unable to save the lower dash, so I need to paint the AHB lower..and figure out where to find the appropriate speedo gear and go back to the OE style cable.

If I can get my hands on an AHB speedo for cheap, I may do that too.

20220925_165512.jpg

brotherGood

Reaction score
man..this aged well. Good news, I'm hopefully about to FINALLY get this Olds to the point where I can consistently get it out of the garage (thats depressing to say, actually) and get the AHB back in there to start the tear down. Once thats sorted, my next goal is the transmission/converter.

I say all that to say..its kinda been put on the backburner over the last month or so due to a crazy accident with Dad, but hopefully with him on the mend we can get a plan together when he's ready and healed up.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Sure hope you and dad get through the holidays with no more big worries.
JW
Agreed and appreciated.

I think with the holidays coming up, as long as the interior gets switched I'll call it a win. The Olds still needs to go off for body work and an exhaust, so I can use the time it's gone to address the trans/converter as long as I've got the parts.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Small update..

Ordered a new cam & lifter kit over the weekend, as well as new pushrods and intake gasket. Cam wasn't needed, but seeing as it has a couple collapsed lifters from sitting and we'd need to redo the break in, figured we'd play it safe and go new cam as well. Just went with the same one that's already in it, because it's ample.

Also, we may be taking it down today for the trans rebuild/new converter. Pops is going to call down there this morning to see where he's at in line, but if it doesn't go today, it's next in line.

Maybe by the time it's done with everything, I'll have gotten the essentials done on the Olds to get it to the body shop-clearing the garage for the AHB to have the interior swapped.

brotherGood

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna need to change the title to this thread..ha!

Car will be done from the trans shop either today or tomorrow. In addition to the rebuild/new converter/shift kit, he also found and addressed the cause for the shake it'd had since the rear end swap. It appears we were sold a mis-packaged UJoint. I remember multiple issues with the Ujoint as we were putting things back together, but he found while under it that it wasn't right. He also noticed the trans mount was practically gone..something I had wondered myself once pinion angle shims seemed to have no effect.

Once it gets back, all that's left is to get the Olds out of the way and change out the interior. Then comes the need for another checklist..ha!

brotherGood

Reaction score
Never did update this after it got back, but holy cow it came back better than ever. Even with lifter tick, not being warmed up, and needing brakes bled, it ran so freaking well.

...that being said, Pops got a knock on the door this morning and it now has a new owner. Kinda bummed after 13 years I never got it done, but at least it'll finally get there and be enjoyed again.

Back