I've entered the snake pit...

Justwondering

Reaction score
Hope you made it home okay.
enough passion to overcome a degree -- I like the turn of that phrase!

brotherGood

Reaction score
Yeah, it got home without any issues. Not sure what happened, but the brakes feel fine. Dad drove it home because he's driven cars with no brakes before and knew how to handle it. We got home and I took it out because I didn't believe him that they were ok. Sure enough, they feel fine. The timing is a bit off, as when it got warm it was hard to restart..but my main concern right now is getting the shed built, so I can clear the garage out to get it back inside. Oh, and the new job and quickly approaching due date for my child. That's life I suppose..haha

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
1983, I had my first experience with a loss of brakes, at 16 years old. I was driving my ’67 Plymouth Satellite about 45 MPH and turned off of main road, into a gas station.

The brake petal went to the floor and after about 2-3 panicked pumps, I blacked out.
A few moments later, when I figured out what happened: I found the car stopped in the middle of the turn off, with engine dead (and nothing ran over, thank goodness).

Another pump on petal confirmed I had ZIP/ZERO/NANA for brakes.
Parking brake still worked. I started car up car – just after I found the shifter was in Reverse – so I guess I yanked the shifter into reverse – which killed the engine (something I had not accomplished again, to date).
All I can say was someone was watching over me at the time.

I was able to make it back home, without service brakes, without any issues. I just shifted car into neutral when coming to a stop, and applied the parking brakes to stop with.

Got home and found one of my front rubber brake hoses had ruptured (note: car had 4-wheel drum brakes, at the time). A quick replacement of all 3 rubber hoses and I was back in business.

A tip for anyone willing to listen – brake hoses are a whole lot cheaper to fix than the front end of your car (or your life). If brake hoses look questionable, please don’t chance it. Just get new hoses, which are still available, and just change ‘em out.
BudW

Back