J Body Hardest parts to find

Mr C

Reaction score
I know up here in the great white north....one of our more reputable auto glass places will make me one. Custom is pricey but it's new glass.

Not sure what you have available down under...

Will they make them for other cars? (I'm thinking 74-78 C body...they are N/A now).

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I just picked up a used j windshield in decent shape. Yay for me, I have a spare.

8T2TOP

Reaction score
We need to band together USA &worldwide to get the glass put back into a short production run.
Part#DW930
Used to be PPG glass now owned by LKQ Corp. We need to email,call,hound whoever is in charge of giving the green light for production,there has to be at least what 100? 1000?....Let's get this done!

JerryH

Reaction score
I know a European company that produces huge variety of windshields. They do custom glass too. Should I ask them if and how much if nothing else works?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I know a European company that produces huge variety of windshields. They do custom glass too. Should I ask them if and how much if nothing else works?

There are US based companies that can make custom windshields as well. They are expensive all on their own, but when you add in the shipping cost, they end up costing more that the car's value in many cases.

Kostas

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Makes me think that maybe I should have dragged the parts wagon back with me from Virginia instead of just stripping off what I could get into the truck. But then, I really didn't want it sitting around either. Just hope I never need any glass for OY.
parts Aspen 2.jpg
parts Aspen 1.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Its probably (don't know for sure) easier to get glass for the F and M bodies than the J bodies. The F and M bodies were in production a lot longer, and were produced for many more years. The total J body production (including the Imperial) was probably in the 60-70K range. The F abd M bodies were much higher than that.

Miradaman

Reaction score
I replaced my windshield back in the late '90's, and it was $200 installed in my driveway. I live in West Virginia though, so that might be the difference. I have seen 5 or 6 other Miradas around here though. Not counting the 2 I owned.

Alexgalayda

Reaction score
I'm working on trying to get a J-Body Cordoba parts car,rear fender extensions are toast along with the bumper filler.Body looks decent,Burgandy interior buckets,console,tuff wheel,CB radio,Car has been sitting for years.I'll update when I get more info.
Go to replicaplastics they have the quarterpanel extensions for 89 each

Alexgalayda

Reaction score
Re 3D Printing: It's coming soon, but the current (reasonably-priced) units only produce small pieces. They also don't produce the smoothest output. They're good for prototyping, but not yet good enough for interior-quality parts. In short order, though, they'll be there.
When u finish them can u send me the link to download them i got a 3d printer

4speedjim

Reaction score
They cut the windshields out of a modern car windshield. I haven't found which year and model we can use, but that's how the make glass for J body and other non serviced cars. Captain can you find out which glass he used for your windshield? They just used a '14 Malibu windshield on Wheeler Dealer for a little '62 Saab I think it was. And it was perfect. Cut out of the center of the glass. An experienced glass guy should be able to recognize the shapes to narrow the search. So we just need to know what modern windshield has our color curve and slope somewhere on the glass.

Back