J body tie rod ends

Liam Klassen

Reaction score
My steering has gotten quite sloppy on my Cordoba and I think it's time for some tie rod ends. However, every site has two options 11/16 diameter and 9/16 diameter. Is there a way to know which I have without measuring it manually? I'm also curious as to why there are two different sizes for the j body.

Camtron

Reaction score
You probably have 9/16 on the car. Can use either one, just a slight difference in strength/thickness of the shafts.
Same two options for all FMJ cars.

Camtron

Reaction score
That’s also figuring you’re replacing inner and outer. If you were just planning on replacing the outer ends, you’ll have to measure to get the right shaft. Cant have a 11/16 outer and 9/16 inner. They should show inner, outer tie rods and the adjustment sleeve in the two sizes.

Aspen500

Reaction score
As mentioned, either size will work with the matching sleeve. Vast majority of f/m/j are 9/16 originally.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Bigger ones were usually the fleet vehicles.
Check to make sure that's what's worn out. Other parts can also cause sloppy steering.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Police, taxi or special order cars are only one that got 11/16" tie rod ends and sleeves.
If you like to take turns hard, or drive like I do, the 11/16" tie rods (and sleeves) are the way to go - for is a cheap upgrade (if replacing worn parts to begin with).

If you are not one to take turns excessively hard, then there is nothing wrong with 9/16" parts.

Either item wears at same rate/speed so having larger parts will not make it last longer. What will make it last longer is to get greasable parts - and give a bit of grease every oil change (or so). Also, not driving into deep water or driving in sandy areas will also help prolong tie rods from wearing - but hopefully no one in an FMJ plans on driving off road, in deep water or at the beach??

To be honest, the tie rod sleeve is really the weakest link and the part that flexes on hard turns. Getting solid tie rod sleeves will help even cars with 9/16" tie rods (...but if you have worn tie rods, and do drive hard - you might as well upgrade).

Stock sleeves:
Tie Rod Sleeve.png

Solid (aftermarket) sleeves:
Tie Rod Sleeve AFMK.png

BudW

MARCH374

Reaction score
Police, taxi or special order cars are only one that got 11/16" tie rod ends and sleeves.
If you like to take turns hard, or drive like I do, the 11/16" tie rods (and sleeves) are the way to go - for is a cheap upgrade (if replacing worn parts to begin with).

If you are not one to take turns excessively hard, then there is nothing wrong with 9/16" parts.

Either item wears at same rate/speed so having larger parts will not make it last longer. What will make it last longer is to get greasable parts - and give a bit of grease every oil change (or so). Also, not driving into deep water or driving in sandy areas will also help prolong tie rods from wearing - but hopefully no one in an FMJ plans on driving off road, in deep water or at the beach??

To be honest, the tie rod sleeve is really the weakest link and the part that flexes on hard turns. Getting solid tie rod sleeves will help even cars with 9/16" tie rods (...but if you have worn tie rods, and do drive hard - you might as well upgrade).

Stock sleeves:
View attachment 47217

Solid (aftermarket) sleeves:
View attachment 47218

BudW
Where do you get the solid one's from ? Thanks

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score

Aspen500

Reaction score
Summit lists them but of course, "not in stock. Estimated shop date Sept 6th"

Firm Feel lists a kit with solid sleeves and all 4 tie rod ends in 9/16 and 11/32". Whether they have them in stock, no idea.

Back