J body wiper repair

J Body General Discussion

1. Trey

Trey Member

I've got my wiper motor out and found the problem with the wipers. I've got a couple questions and I searched and couldn't find the answer. I've ordered the ebay kit from 59imperial but I need to know if I have to remove the drivers side wiper arm to attach it to this plastic drive crank and does the arm go between the two "fingers" on the plastic drive crank (the whiteish parts in my pics.) Also how is the drive crank removed from the arm? Thanks for any help. DSCN2015.gif

DSCN2014.gif

2. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

Did you receive the kit, yet?
    I “believe” thier kit comes with instructions.

I dreaded working on those, back in the day – but (for the most part) parts were still available back then.

Sense you have the wiper motor out, I would highly encourage you to change the other 3 (or 4) wiper bushings (the link from motor to Left side wiper pivot and link between both wiper pivots). Those bushings can be obtained from Chrysler (preferred) or aftermarket (will work in a pinch, but not preferred).

20190312_151226r.jpg
    The black arrow is pointing forward. This is looking inside the cowl towards the drivers outside mirror.
    I recommend removing the entire wiper transmission assy and replacing the bushings on the bench, then reinstalling.

Chrysler part number is 3799089. MSRP is $7.10 (US) each, as of today (June 13, 2019).

I find them for less on eBay from time to time. Personally, I think more than $1.00 per bushing is too much, but Chrysler has never asked me about what I think retail price should be.

Dorman (aftermarket) also makes the bushing. The cheapest I found it is from RockAuto:
    Annotation 2019-06-13 174426.png
    BudW

3799089 Wiper Bushing.png

3. Kernel Sanders

Kernel Sanders Well-Known Member

Although not the same as your as this one is for 2sp BBody, but I hope it helps you with your installation...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

4. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

I would avoid the Made in China Dorman bushings if at all possible. They will work but, they don't go together well and life expectancy is questionable.

5. MiradaMegacab

MiradaMegacab Well-Known Member

Helpful tip....
    Open the cowl covers and spray (actually soak the hell) out of the wiper linkage and all bushings every time you change your engine oil. This will make the parts last longer......

BudW likes this.
  6. Trey

Trey Member

Thanks for tips and pics. BudW I'll go ahead and replace all the bushings. How do I separate the linkage from the bushings? Do I just pry with a screwdriver? I sure don't want to break or bend anything since parts for these cars are so hard to find.

MiradaMegacab what do you spray the linkage with?

Thanks again for your help.

7. MiradaMegacab

MiradaMegacab Well-Known Member

White Lithium Grease Spray

8. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

In most cases, they are not hard to separate for in the plastic bushings have already shattered or cracked. If not, a large flat screwdriver will take them apart and Channellocks/plyers will pop them back together.

To change the wiper bushings, I recommend to:
    - Use some temporary tape, like masking tape, to mark the position of wiper arms. In your case with the wiper motor removed, it will not help much.
    - remove both wiper arms. There is a Left and a Right side. Tilt the arm up and use a slot screwdriver to pull a tab outward. This will keep the arm in the “tilted up” position. Generally light rocking will allow the arms to come up and off.
    - Remove the large nuts holding the wiper pivots in place. I think they are 15/16” 12-point – but don’t quote me on that. There might be an odd-shaped washer under Left side nut.
    - After both nuts are removed, push down on pivots (if they didn’t already fall).
    - Remove the wiper transmission out as an assembly through the hole in cowl.
    - Mark the arm positions. I prefer to take a sharpie and mark top on both left sides. The rear arm might not matter which direction it goes back in, but the front arm does (know from experience).
    - On the bench, take a large flat blade screwdriver and pry the bushings away from pivots. It shouldn’t take much to do.
    - Channellocks or plyers are decent to remove bushings from the two arms. This can be easy or not so easy (if bushings didn’t crumble at this point).
    - Use Channellocks or plyers to pop the new bushings into the arms. Here Channellocks do work better and sometimes a socket to cover the other end. This is one area where the Chrysler bushings fit so much better than the aftermarket ones do.
    I prefer to put a small bit of grease into the bushing hole before popping them back onto the pivots. It won’t hold much and too much will make a mess. The type of grease shouldn’t matter (wheel bearing, white spray, etc.). The bushings were designed to operate dry, but they also squeak when dry. Note: when spraying lube, as mentioned above), you are aiming the grease for these bushings.
    - Assemble the arm that attaches to wiper motor (with your new kit) to existing transmission assembly.
    - Install the wiper transmission back into place, in reverse order. I like to stick one pivot up enough to get a couple threads on one nut, then do the next. When in position, then tighten nuts.
    - In your case (and lastly), attach wiper motor to car leaving the wiper motor arm for last.
    - If all nuts are tight, try the wipers before putting the cowl screen in place.

BudW

Ele115 likes this.