Jumper cables? Nah...there is a better way now.

Kern Dog

Reaction score
I read on Mopar Action awhile back about these new battery jumper boxes:

00 x1.png

00 x3.png

These are interesting. I like the idea of having something lightweight and compact to bring with any vehicle I'm taking on road trips. No need to get help from someone else for a jump start if you accidently leave the lights on or some other mistake. Some of these come with built in lights or air compressors. Some will allow recharging of a phone, camera or other low demand accessories.
If you have one, do you have a recommendation for a brand or model that you liked?

00 x2.png

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
So for dead batteries: 1) drive another car, or jump it off another car, because I have a fleet of minty shit, its like Vice Grip Garage here except it all runs, all the A/C and heat works, and it's all inspected, registered and insured 2) get an uber/phone a friend for a round trip ride to the nearest tractor supply/wally world for a new battery 3) AAA 4) see if that random battery flopping around in the trunk still works

In all seriousness though, those blue jump packs fail after a couple years of use. People say good things about those Noco ones but I've never owned one.

69-

Reaction score
I have a Kraftwerk pack (dunno if you get it in the US).

Saved my ass a couple times with low-but-not-dead-yet batteries to start with empty carbs (carter/edelb) after couple weeks just sitting unused. All 318's.
Problem is: most friends either still work or live a couple miles too far away... and yes, got a couple batteries around, but these packs are much lighter and far easier to put behind the driver seat directly onto the battery of a 69 A100... :cool:

It is amazing what those little boxes put out. But I have no long time experience.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
A better way now? They've been around for 10+ years lol.

While they're convenient I gave up on them because like everything else battery related they need to be kept charged and the battery only lasts so long before they die too. The one I had was always low when I needed it. Some won't start v8 cars especially older ones but don't have problems with newer fuel injected stuff.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I think most car people have a battery charger that plugs in, either one of the little one or the bigger units on wheels. Those last decades.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Yeah I have one of the ones on wheels. It won't jump a car from dead but will if its just low or stick it on charge for a little while first.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I just use a 26 year old chevy truck with 300,000+ miles on it and jumper cables home-made from welding leads or the 21 year old mahindra tractor.

JW
(I have longed for a different solution; however, its not in my stars just yet)

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
It's hilarious reading this thread here and the FABO version of the same thread. Looks like we're different kinds of people. FABO loves them, and some of us are like bah humbug!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Up here in the Grey White North, there are many occasions when the temperature drops quite low. People still get regular car boosts from friends or taxis, but imcreasingly, they are using the battery boost boxes. Most common that I have seen is the NOCO ones, I have a friend who has one and he seems to like his, and has used it with success a couple of times. I think he has a GB70.

Looking at the size of the unit, and the specs for it, they seem a little optimistic, at least for Canadian winter conditions. I sincerely doubt that you are going to start a 8.0L Gas V-8 or a 6.0L Diesel when it is -25C out and the vehicle has been sitting outside overnight. It will probably start most smaller gasoline engined, or even small V-8 cars, or even the lightweight V-6 diesels that have come out, but I don't think any of the bigger gasoline or V-8 full sized diesels will start. Depending on your vehicle, it is a good backup, because up here, the CAA (Canadian version of AAA) can quote two days to get a boost during a serious cold snap.

Kern Dog

Reaction score
I readily admit that I am not the type to be at the cutting edge of anything. I stick with what I like, what works for me. I am always resistant to new things unless they prove to be superior to what I've used before.
I used to use one of those "Slap Chop" manual food processors until I tried the wife's fancy electric one. I resisted nail guns 20 years ago because most carpenters using them just did bad work faster. I resisted cordless battery powered tools at work until they got better.
I realize these compact jumper boxes are not 2024 new tech. They have been around awhile but the advent of the lithium-ion batteries have made them much smaller and lighter. If you don't overcharge or puncture them, they are fantastic.
I accidently punctured a Milwaukee battery in my circular saw and wow....what a fireworks show THAT was!
I'll keep on doing what I do....wait until I'm ready to "upgrade" to new things. These battery boxes seem to be great for the simple matter of not having to rely on others if I needed a little help in getting things moving again.

BryanL

Reaction score
Check out Project Farm he tested some he also has a video for ones tested in 2022

Camtron

Reaction score
A lot of the portable boosters I’ve used, won’t work once the cars battery gets below a certain voltage. Won’t even try just display a low battery voltage message. Something to be mindful of when you’re shopping for these, make sure you get something that can actually jump a dead battery and not just a slightly low battery. The big 12v-24v DSR jump packs, I’ve never had issues with regardless of vehicles battery voltage. Those things will jump a pushback tractor with dead batteries when it’s -54 degrees outside.

Kern Dog

Reaction score
Thanks, guys.
I will never live or vacation anywhere that gets near zero. I don't like the cold and see absolutely zero reason to be where it is like that. I like warm weather. I can tolerate 120 degrees as long as I have some shade and water. It gets below 40 and my mood goes into the toilet. I don't like wearing multiple layers of clothes just to exist.

volare 1977

Reaction score
I would be happy to never see snow again. Love the warm weather and sunshine but I do suffer when it is humid.

Back