Just an update on RMS AlterKtion

J Body General Discussion

1. Joe12459

Joe12459 Well-Known Member

While I was building my Hemi Mirada 5 years ago, I had some friendly conversation here regarding my choice of RMS AlterKtion front suspension. Needless to say, there were a few "mixed reviews", mostly relying on speculation, as nobody had installed this suspension in our cars. I promised I would post an update after I'd driven the car a while. So, five years and almost 20000 miles later, I am keeping my promise. I drive the shit out of that car every time I take it out. I haven't changed a single front end part. As a matter of fact, although I hate to admit it, I haven't greased a single part. I have had absolutely no issues, and the car still handles like a modern sports car. I have driven these cars with many other very popular front end upgrades, which were impressive, but nowhere near as dramatic a difference as this front end is. So for anyone considering this suspension, you have my real world, not speculation, experience. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a front end upgrade!

brotherGood likes this.
  2. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

I would totally have done this if I wasn't so vested in parts in the factory style suspension. Probably got $3500 into the front end on my car between performance parts and rebuild parts. Thanks for the update.

Joe12459 likes this.
  3. brotherGood

brotherGood Well-Known Member

I'll have to look this back up..it was the one that basically went to rack and pinion, right?

4. Joe12459

Yes, square tube k-frame, coil overs, tubular control arms and rack and pinion.

brotherGood likes this.
  5. hemi62valiant

hemi62valiant New Member

Thanks

6. hemi62valiant

hemi62valiant New Member

Has anybody tried this with a big block

7. Joe12459

I haven't heard of anybody doing it, but it is available with B/RB motor mounts. Many years ago, I squeezed a 440 in a Mirada. That was a fun car to drive, but handled predictably shitty. It would be interesting to see one with a big block and AlterKtion suspension.

8. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

I briefly looked into an AlterKtion when building my car (big block) but one minor thing kept me from doing it. It's something you usually carry in a leather holder in your back pocket, lol. With completely overhauled stock suspension and a FF Stage II box, it doesn't handle TOO bad although, it definitely is not made for a road course.

9. Joe12459

It was definitely a big investment, but for my build it made sense. I could have upgraded the stock stuff with FF stuff, but I would still have to figure out how to get the Gen 3 Hemi in the factory k frame, likely fabricate an oil pan and exhaust, motor mounts and other parts. Factoring in time and money for that, I don't think it would have cost much less, especially in skinned knuckles and aggravation!

10. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

I had done the "hard part" way back in'89, the original swap to a 440 so during the build, no fabrication was needed. I'd spent so much on the rest of the car, the money for an AlterKtion was never going to happen. Put it this way, the only parts on or in the engine that weren't brand new are the block and head castings.

Joe12459 likes this.
  11. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

I don't see these listed on their site. Only A/B/E cars. Did they drop production?

12. Joe12459

At one time they were listed. When I built mine, they were not listed, but a quick call to Bill Reilly confirmed that they still make them to order. Mine shipped with the motor mounts not welded in, so I could place them where I needed them.