keep it simple.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
So my brother has 6 nice b and e bodies. The 69 charger rt need interior redone, so he ordered all new stuff including complete repro console shift assembly. He hired his neighbor who is a bmw tech to do all the work in his (neighbor) new hot rod shop he opened. While it was there, they serviced the tranny, installed new distributor,wires, and plugs. Then, "I think you need a new carb" "just won't run right". New carb goes on, still runs terrible. 3 months go by guy tells my bro cars done, come and get it. many thousands of dollars later. He tells my bro, I don't know these carbs well, still needs some tuning". Bro drives it home, popping and backfiring all the way, and calls me. He brings it over and we start going over stuff. Timing set at 8 btdc, idling very rich on the primary circuit w/ one idle mix screw almost out, and the other all the way in. Put timing at 13 btdc adjust idle mix, better but still chugging. Then I thinks to me self," surely he got the wires on right,right? Wrong! Two were switched. I could not believe it. Probably never needed a new carb. But wait, theres more. The shifter parts are very nice repro parts. The guy said every part was made wrong and he had to grind all the welds, and rivets of the brand new shifter and "rebuild it to work", Took him over 100 hours to get it to work. Mind you, the car ran, drove, and shifted fine when my bro dropped off the car...... Now it hunts for the gears, won't go into 1st at all, and shifts very sloppy. I told my bro, this guy had no clue what he was doing. He doesn't know how to adjust shift and kickdown , so he destroyed a brand new shifter and linkages to try to get it to work. I still can't believe this. Instead of turning one bolt to adjust the shifter, He cut, welded, bent, and twisted all the shifter parts and linkages to try to get it to work. Remember, don't assume you or the other guy put the plug wires on right, and if you think you have to re-engineer the wheel, don't. There is probably a simple solution.

ramenth

Reaction score
perfect example of why I don't EVER let anyone turn wrenches on my car

After working on cars professionally for almost 25 years and working with some of the guys I've worked with, my old man is about the only other person I trust to work on my s*** if I can't.

The OP's brother's mistake was taking it someone who knows only the modern stuff. And even then too many guys use the scanner as a crutch. It's a diagnostic tool just like the other tools in the toolbox. Diagnostics still comes down to the ability to know what's going on with the car, how things work, and how to identify the issue.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That's crazy!
Hope he got some money back on that deal.

I don't have the knowhow to do everything...trannies are a black hole to me.
Luckily I have a buddy who knows the old stuff very well.
We were even joking.....I was saying if I needed anything done to my cars that I can't do I have to get it done before he croaks....

I trust this guy....but the only things he does are things I can't or need a hand with.

Firing order wrong from a shop...that's unreal.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Worked on the car again today. Victory. straightened shift rod, replaced missing pins and bushings, adjusted kickdown, and oh yeah, added 2.5 qts. of tranny fluid! Are you kidding me?!

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
1. Sorry to hear this. Yeah it is always good to learn how to do yourself. Isn't always easy. But whatever is right. Most shops will rip you a good one now days unless you find a good old timer who is completely honest and not just out for money. Once my wife took her truck to get her brakes done. I could not do it cause I had just had back surgery. She took the truck to them and as soon as she got back all the ABS crap in dash was lit up. I said hell no I took the truck back and told them you will fix it again for free are I will file a law suit. Funny how quick it was done right on the spot. I let them know real quick I did not appreciate them trying to take advantage of her that way either. Never went to them ever again after that. They even offered free coupons and so on and I was like no thank you. Have since learned and did my own.

2. I remember one time when I was younger I took a older model car for a basic tune-up and they left the distributor shaft nut loose and it caused the timing to jump. Keep in mind it was sent there just for a basic tune-up. Come to find out the guy who had did the tune-up was intoxicated at the time and on the clock. Now this is a ASE Certified Mechanic I am referring to working on this vehicle. The manager told me the guy was fired and of course they redid the tune-up free of charge for me. Have since learned and did my own.

3. I remember once I took a vehicle to have a basic oil service. They did not tighten the oil filter or pan nut. When I got home I had half quart of oil left. Now what if I had not checked it. Hmm would of had no motor. Have since learned and did my own. Amazing the things we can remember Lol.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Man....some of the stories I hear are incredible.
I live in a city with just under 3,000,000 people and I've found one guy who's good, honest and knows the old stuff. Between my buddy and I we can usually do everything ourselves but for the stuff beyond my level it's very nice and very rare to have this guy around....

Something as simple as an oil change.....I've heard horror stories from countless people I know who've gone to those minute lube (stooge) places.

Back