Kick down linkage issues

Efful

Reaction score
Hello guys during the summer I had removed my kickdown linkage during a drunken night in preparation to drop the tranny, decided to have a transmission shop fix the car after several months, we’ll now I’m back to putting it together and I never took a before pic (dumbass ‍i know.) I’m onto the linkage and it seems I’m missing a item? But I have every piece in a bag so I’m even more confused, for anyone familiar the piece I am holding connects to the above piece, but there is nothing to connect to it, am I missing a item? Or how does it connect?

IMG_4275.jpeg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
There should be a linkage that goes from that ball stud to one of the arms on the transmission. The rod should have an adjustment block on it.

There should also be a rod that runs from a bracket on the frame to the transmission (probably goes in to that hole thats cut off on the edge of the pic) with linkages on it.

Aspen500

Reaction score
From what I can see in your photo, the rod you are holding snaps onto the bell crank ball stud. The spring clip is half a turn off from where it should be. Is it lined up with the hole in the rod?

Efful

Reaction score
There should be a linkage that goes from that ball stud to one of the arms on the transmission. The rod should have an adjustment block on it.

There should also be a rod that runs from a bracket on the frame to the transmission (probably goes in to that hole thats cut off on the edge of the pic) with linkages on it.
What I am holding is the rod that has the adjustment block on it, I have it connected on the transmission side.
Wasn’t aware of the of the rod from trans to frame I’ll look more at my loose pieces when I get home

Last edited:

Efful

Reaction score
From what I can see in your photo, the rod you are holding snaps onto the bell crank ball stud. The spring clip is half a turn off from where it should be. Is it lined up with the hole in the rod?
That makes sense, it all lines up when I rotate it back down, I wasn’t aware of a hole in the rod, I’ll take a look at it when I get home. Thanks for the info guys! I’ll let y’all know what I find on it

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Where is your spring in the trans arm part?

If you need the upper pic what the carb was on this I can post.

T1.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
There's a hole under that round clip. Spin it around and you'll see it.
The missing spring goes between the adjustment block and the flange. You can see it in XfbodyX's pic. It's not really needed it only makes adjusting the kickdown a bit easier.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Little bit different info in the video then our cars but same idea. The service manual says how to adjust it but from what I remember you loosen the adjuster block and push the linkage up so the throttle slot is all the way forward and hold the kickdown arm at the transmission against its home position stop and the preload spring holds the block at the right spot to tighten it down. Without the spring you need to push it back yourself to remove the play while you tighten the bolt.
Some people like to fine tune it a bit.

Efful

Reaction score
There's a hole under that round clip. Spin it around and you'll see it.
The missing spring goes between the adjustment block and the flange. You can see it in XfbodyX's pic. It's not really needed it only makes adjusting the kickdown a bit easier.
I spun it and found the hole, thanks for that info!!

LSM360

Reaction score
Little bit different info in the video then our cars but same idea. The service manual says how to adjust it but from what I remember you loosen the adjuster block and push the linkage up so the throttle slot is all the way forward and hold the kickdown arm at the transmission against its home position stop and the preload spring holds the block at the right spot to tighten it down. Without the spring you need to push it back yourself to remove the play while you tighten the bolt.
Some people like to fine tune it a bit.
This. And I'm one of those that likes to fine tune it lol. Usually takes me days after driving several times to get it right where I want it. I believe it is sometimes referred to "Throttle Pressure Rod"

Aspen500

Reaction score
Throttle valve actuator. Everyone calls it "kickdown linkage", but it really isn't. It regulates the fluid pressure. Kind of like valve cover but it's really a rocker cover on an OHV pushrod engine or cam cover on an OHC engine. Yeah I know, retired auto tech picking nits, LOL!

LSM360

Reaction score
Throttle valve actuator. Everyone calls it "kickdown linkage", but it really isn't. It regulates the fluid pressure. Kind of like valve cover but it's really a rocker cover on an OHV pushrod engine or cam cover on an OHC engine. Yeah I know, retired auto tech picking nits, LOL!
It's going to raise or lower shift points, as well as kickdown correct? I mean there's not separate adjustments for shift points and kickdown?

69-

Reaction score
Throttle lever is NOT for adjusting shift points.

OLDIRON

Reaction score
It's going to raise or lower shift points, as well as kickdown correct? I mean there's not separate adjustments for shift points and kickdown?

My understanding is that it balances the available pump line pressure against the drive shaft speed tail shaft governor pressure. And will influence the car speed shift points.
Both up and down.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You can't really change shift points with the TV linkage. It needs to be adjusted so WOT and full pressure (TV lever all the way towards the rear) both happen at the same tine.

You can change shift points by adjusting the pressure regulator valve on the main control body. More pressure equals higher shift points, along with firmer shifts.

Back