Light Bar for an F Body

Ash_Whole

Reaction score
does anyone have a source or build idea for the roof light bar? i am looking around, but all i see are the ones that drill through the roof or gutter mount.
i need to be able to remove the bar when i store the car so a permanent install is not possible.

20220522_124535.jpg

Camtron

Reaction score
Newp.
Just reading your post and quickly thinking, I’d try to come up with something with mounts similar to a ladder rack for a van. Just pinch mounts you can open and close real quick with wing/nuts and bolts. Or, pull your headliner down and stick some real strong magnets to your roof and just let the magnets hold the bar instead of drilling.

Ash_Whole

Reaction score
good idea, but there is nothing to pinch, no rail. it needs to wrap around the door frame

Enchalay

Reaction score
Most modern (late 70's to now) light bars have "feet" that rest on the roof at the reinforcement. They have a hook shape bracket that goes into the door frame and pulls tension with a bolt.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
About 15 years ago, I purchased an '84 Gran Fury police car (Indian Reservation police). It had a roof light attached through the roof. On this car, the rust from water intrusion through the drilled bolt holes was extremely bad. The rusty roof panel was cracked through the drilled bolt holes, the roof support structure was almost rusted through and the mid/rear section of floor pan was also in very bad shape.

Most of the floor pan damage I usually see is by (or under) the drivers petals. That was not the case on this car.

If you do have to drill holes, be sure to do something to keep water from entering.

If this car police was running, when I got it, and it had to jump train tracks (or something), I personally think it would have broke the car in half.
BudW

Enchalay

Reaction score
thanks, but all i could fins are complete LED light bars, but i may also be blind
Do you already have a light bar and just need mounts? Or do you you need a light bar? If you need a bar check municipal surplus sales. Whatever manufacturer you find call their parts/support line and tell them you need a mount kit.

Ash_Whole

Reaction score
i have the rollers, need a bar and mounts. there are no municipal surplus here in Canada.
mostly just the roof mounts and i can make the bar from alum tubing.

Camtron

Reaction score
Magnets...or some of those industrial suction cups for lifting heavy, flat materials...just stick them onto the light bar you end up making. Then just stick the lights right on the roof when you want them on the car.

Good luck.

Ele115

Reaction score
The ones CT State Police were nifty. They took their light bars off when they went off duty and drove their cars home without the light bar. I am pretty sure the whole mounting system was designed specifically for CT. They could remove or install a whelen light bar in minutes and they usually had no decals on the cars. They ran all kinds of factory colors. Very odd set up.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Rubbers or suction cups on the roof vs studs through the roof and make the end hooks apply the down force?

IMG_20140609_094930.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
What about using a roof bike rack bar? Get one that's made to clamp to the edge of the roof and make a nice aluminum crossbar for the lights. No holes to drill and the clamps are padded to prevent damage.

Enchalay

Reaction score
The rubber feet on those don't go through the roof skin. They are just feet. The hook on the end that wraps into the door opening are what holds the lightbar on. Usually the only hole with a lightbar is where the wires go through the roof.

Ash_Whole

Reaction score
i really want the set that was shown in the first image, the one from LSM360 is too wide looking, the rollers overhang the roof and dont feel like they belong

Back