Looking at this one this week: '77 LeBaron with 16k miles owner sez...

drpreposterous

Reaction score
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/4646336208.html

He's asking for $4,800

00A0A_6ctAxMsiJxy_600x450.jpg
00A0A_9d9Wj5epCpR_600x450.jpg
00D0D_6ie5bxEYdz1_600x450.jpg
00f0f_iqBEv1gY1zm_600x450.jpg
00m0m_ezf411UjBjD_600x450.jpg

00A0A_6ctAxMsiJxy_600x450.jpg

00A0A_9d9Wj5epCpR_600x450.jpg

00D0D_6ie5bxEYdz1_600x450.jpg

00f0f_iqBEv1gY1zm_600x450.jpg

00m0m_ezf411UjBjD_600x450.jpg

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
+ 1 asking to much and doubt the car only has 16K miles...does the odometer only have 5 digits and a tenths ticker ? if so I would seriously doubt the mileage the car is worth more like 3000-3500 IMO. Its a good looking car but i would need to see a history of maintenance on the car from the dealership before believing the owner on claims of such a low mileage.

Last edited:

LSM360

Reaction score
Beautiful car! Sure looks like it could be original miles. Seller should have some documentation for you. I agree, needs to come down some. If he/she can provide documentation on the mileage and it's solid and runs nice, then I would say $3500-$3800. Again, looks really, really nice. Good luck. Hope you get it.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
And don't forget the extensive inspection underneath.
Seen a lot of very nice looking M's and F's from that era with frame rails made of butter....that one looks nice and solid but you want to be sure.
Hope it all goes well and you get it.
She's a sweetie for sure.

compubert

Reaction score
May want to get photos with a more recent date on them b4 you jump...

JSALeBaron

Reaction score
Sorry to change the subject, but I see that it has buckets. Did a 79 LeBaron have bucket seats? Also, while I agree that the mileage is sketchy, a lot of our cars were bought by older folks who lived a lot longer than they imagined. My great grandpa bought two Cordobas brand new- one for daily driving and the other for Sunday driving. He is 91 and still owns the Sunday cruiser. I can't imagine that it has many miles on it or that it ever saw snow. I hope someone that appreciates this car buys it and keeps it looking nice!!

dart69340

Reaction score
Answers......

I thank you for calling tonight. As for the rest of you, I think that you should not "assume" anything. The car is what I stated. It is original miles, garage kept and original family. My father & I owned it since new. True survivor. If you are nearby and interested, stop by and see it. If you're serious about making a reasonable offer, I'll take some more pictures. But if all you're going to do is guess about everything, don't waste my time. BTW the price can be negotiated. Thanks for your interest. Bryan, thanks for sending it to this site. I had forgotten about it, but be careful of the "experts".

jasperjacko

Reaction score
You probably will never find a lower mileage one. As for the date on the pic., I messed that up on several pics of Modoba while I was putting it together.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I thank you for calling tonight. As for the rest of you, I think that you should not "assume" anything. The car is what I stated. It is original miles, garage kept and original family. My father & I owned it since new. True survivor. If you are nearby and interested, stop by and see it. If you're serious about making a reasonable offer, I'll take some more pictures. But if all you're going to do is guess about everything, don't waste my time. BTW the price can be negotiated. Thanks for your interest. Bryan, thanks for sending it to this site. I had forgotten about it, but be careful of the "experts".

No disrespect was meant in the least I can assure you.
What some of us "experts" were doing was just giving a heads up to a new member and potential buyer. It's a beautiful looking car and here you are to back up your claims. That is rare. I myself have seen a whole lot of cars paraded through this site with false claims about mileage and condition.
As far as I can see.....all anyone was doing was suggesting things to be aware of when looking at a 70's M body. Although there are many claims of super low mileage and rock solid condition, many don't stand up to those claims and for that reason I would suggest the same things I did to anyone as to what to look out for.

If yours is what you say than she's a rare sweetie and it's great to see one in such great condition.

Keep in mind also that this was presented as a car for sale from an unknown seller.

Again.....no harm meant....good luck with the sale.

Last edited:

LSM360

Reaction score
Not assuming anything is EXACTLY what we were doing. I am sure you are aware of the phrase "Buyer Beware". Nobody here knew you and we were just protecting one of our own. Many of us stated, including myself, that it was a beautiful car. You may find this hard to believe, but some people don't tell all the truth. As Capn said, we meant no disrespect and you should not take any of our comments personally. As a buyer, never assume the description is accurate.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Not assuming anything is EXACTLY what we were doing. I am sure you are aware of the phrase "Buyer Beware". Nobody here knew you and we were just protecting one of our own. Many of us stated, including myself, that it was a beautiful car. You may find this hard to believe, but some people don't tell all the truth. As Capn said, we meant no disrespect and you should not take any of our comments personally. As a buyer, never assume the description is accurate.

X2 :icon_thumright:

dart69340

Reaction score

"Nobody here knew you and we were just protecting one of our own."

I've been a member on this site for over a year, so I guess "I'm one of your own too....

dart69340

Reaction score

I've been a member on this site for over a year, so I guess "I'm one of your own too....

ramenth

Reaction score
And here I thought the A-body guys were cheap. :roll:

A thorough inspection of the car might be warranted to ensure condition and that's not meant to give offense, it's just the truth of the matter. I don't care if the car is a year old with 16k miles, I'd still be going over it with a fine tooth comb.

Price negotiable tells me that you set the price high with a rock bottom you'd take for it. I do the same thing. Makes the buyer think he's gotten a deal and I still walk away with the price I had in mind anyway. It's just business.

Other than that if the car is as it's represented (and I'm not saying "if" to give offense, just stating is as fact) I can tell you right now, in my neck of the woods, you're not gonna find a low mileage M-body that's that original for any less of a price. The $500 cars (you'll find one every once in a while) are all ratted out and either good for parts or a cheap beater that'll last a year.

Hell, I'd rather pay that much for this car (or any M-body) to put my wife and kid in that the same price for a for anything newer.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score

Well you are indeed a member.
It says in your profile that you joined in May (5 months ago)
And this is your third post so you haven't exactly appeared active.
That's besides the point though. Nobody here knew this was your car.
It was posted as a craigslist ad. Had we known it was being vouched for by another long standing member the reaction would be no doubt different.
As I mentioned....we have a lot of people who join up, post something for sale and disappear.....and as said there was no association with any member when this car was introduced.....it was just another craigslist ad.

And Robert has echoed my feelings.....regardless of anything I would fine tooth comb any car I was looking at. That era of M body is notorious for soggy rails and pans so I myself tell anybody to look for these things.

If (and that's not doubting it) the car is as you say then I would certainly be within your asking price....I'll keep my top number to myself because I'm not a potential buyer. It's not your asking price but if the car is as you say it's a good starting point.

Good luck with the sale.

Last edited:

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
Good looking car..Just a suggestion for next time you try to sell a 37 year old car with basically 5 oil changes worth of miles...you need.... DOCUMENTATION.. other wise you just look like a used car salesman. Like these other guys stated we are not dissing your beauty of a car..its just a little hard to believe and no matter the claims of the seller the buyer should always beware. doesnt mean you are a liar...doesn't mean the car is crap..just means the buyer is covering his @$$ before he ponies up 4000.

Also I would like to add that just because a car in fact has LOW mileage doesn't mean it has zero problems...a car that sits without moving for long periods of time can be a ticking time bomb when you actually take it out to drive it..anything made of rubber will basically rot no matter what...maybe you have been replacing things on it to keep it fresh. who knows.. but if I were considering purchasing your car for that price I would have to see a list of receipts from the oil changes or maintenance from a mechanic shop where the mileage is noted on the ticket..

Having that documentation would in my opinion make the car worth a little more. good luck with your sale..

dart69340

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly Robert. I'm sure that someone could probably find something to nit-pick, but I stand by what I represented. A nice car for a fair price. BTW, just for yucks and grins, I entered it in one of the local shows for the first time ever and received a "judge's choice " trophy. I'm kinda proud.....

Back