Looking for bumpers without vertical rubbers

SlantSixSullivan

Reaction score
I have a two door Diplomat and it needs a rear bumper. I would like to find one without the little vertical rubber things. Will post pictures to be clear. I have seen some M bodies with these bumpers. I am wondering if they are available as re-pops or if there's a good source for decent used ones. Thanks

Russell

0-468539.jpg

0-468540.jpg

IMG9522221.jpg

IMG9522201.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
There are no repop bumpers (or anything else for that matter) for F/M/J body. Your best bet is to search for a good used one and have it replated. Where to get a good used one, that's the million dollar question. Not sure what happened to Deconstructor Jim, he sort of vanished off the face of the earth but he might be able to come up with one out in the desert SW, if we can find him. Hopefully, he's OK.

SlantSixSullivan

Reaction score
There are no repop bumpers (or anything else for that matter) for F/M/J body. Your best bet is to search for a good used one and have it replated. Where to get a good used one, that's the million dollar question. Not sure what happened to Deconstructor Jim, he sort of vanished off the face of the earth but he might be able to come up with one out in the desert SW, if we can find him. Hopefully, he's OK.

So people are removing the verticals, welding the bolt holes, and having them replated? I thought there might have been a certain model without the verticals. Thanks for the info. One other thing; do you know anything about tucking the bumpers inboard? They stick out WAY far. Of course I understand why. But I'd like a sleek look

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been sort-of looking for the same thing. The re-plate on my current '80 coupe is not all that great, and the '81 will certainly need a good piece...but like you, I've never been able to narrow it down to a specific model year, or option features for that matter.

I think Dr.Lebaron is right though, Salons would have been the no-frills option, starting point I think, right?

Aspen500

Reaction score
As you mentioned, if you need to have the bumper replated anyways, you can just use any bumper and have the plating company weld the extra holes up before plating.

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
Wildcat Auto Wrecking, sometimes called Wildcat Mopars has a few M bodies in the yard. The ones I've seen (and the one I'm thinking about buying) are mostly fleet cars, but there are a couple of 5As IIRC. They have a website that doesn’t work very well on my phone. They'll ship, but (from Sandy, OR) it could get expensive.

Next time I'm out there I'll take a look around, although it would probably be quicker to just call them:
Wildcat Auto Wrecking | Mopar Parts | Classic Car Dealer

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been sort-of looking for the same thing. The re-plate on my current '80 coupe is not all that great, and the '81 will certainly need a good piece...but like you, I've never been able to narrow it down to a specific model year, or option features for that matter.

I think Dr.Lebaron is right though, Salons would have been the no-frills option, starting point I think, right?
Jesse has bumpers.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Jesse has bumpers.

Forgive me, but who is Jesse? And if he does have one that'll work for my coupe I'd be interested in it, even if it is simply a GREAT core...I pretty much gave up on finding a NOS quality out there so I know a re-chrome job will be required.

SlantSixSullivan

Reaction score
Wildcat Auto Wrecking, sometimes called Wildcat Mopars has a few M bodies in the yard. The ones I've seen (and the one I'm thinking about buying) are mostly fleet cars, but there are a couple of 5As IIRC. They have a website that doesn’t work very well on my phone. They'll ship, but (from Sandy, OR) it could get expensive.

Next time I'm out there I'll take a look around, although it would probably be quicker to just call them:
Wildcat Auto Wrecking | Mopar Parts | Classic Car Dealer
I forgot all about Wildcat. Thank you!

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I used carpart.com in the past, it turned out the salvage yard in town had what I needed and had the best price.

Back