Low Fuel light

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I know that most M-bodies have a low fuel light on the fuel gauge.

For some reason I recall having seen a low fuel light on the newer F-bodies – but all the part books I’ve looked in do not show that as an option.
It might also be I’ve loosing brain cells and don’t know what I’m talking about.

Has anyone seen a low fuel light on an F-body (or have currently have one)?
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
The '79 parts catalog shows only one fuel gauge for H/N where other bodies show "with LED" and "W/O LED" for the fuel, and other gauges, as you found. I take that to mean no low fuel warning on F-body, at least in '79 and I would highly doubt in 1980 either.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My parts manuals show the same thing.
For what ever reason, I recall seeing a F-body with low fuel light and was thinking maybe the factory didn’t intend on offering replacement gauges . . . OR I was seeing things to begin with.

Over the years, there are a few things the part manuals have left off, intentionally.

This might just be a figment of my imagination – which is why I’m asking to begin with.
BudW

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Bud, could you be thinking of the fuel pacer light? Ive seen a few adapt the vac, pacer light.

The FP you could get on an early F, would show in the fender turn light indicator. Does that ring a bell?? Unlike the vans/trucks with there own spot in the dash.

DSC03581.JPG

Last edited:

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Dont seem to be a spot for it in a 80 cluster. Unless in the gauge itself like below.

Thats not a F gauge in the pics.

DSC03582.JPG

DSC03583.JPG

If it went with other years it would be in the gauge???? Maybe????

Great topic Bud.

23.jpg

s-25.jpg

Seems odd so many other mopars had them but its hard finding one for an F. The idea goes way back on mopars.

Youd think the higher line F-s would of been good candidate for one. Bet ya could retro a close one into a F or use the guts.

None the less kinda lame running off the gauge vs sending unit in tank.

One last thought, what of the F cop and public service cars, if anything wouldnt they get it?

Last edited:

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Got to play with one that I fit into my 77 F as part of a 77 LeBaron cluster swap. The thing that was interesting was there are two wires in the cluster for F cluster for the fuel gauge, but 3 in that LeBaron cluster. I kept testing the thing once installed to see if it would come on. All it would do was this very short little occasional flicker thing, very rapidly. So one day I decided to play with that extra wire. I fed it a straight constant 12 volt positive source. Nothing unusual happened until I started to run low on fuel; then that lamp came on perfectly!

Here is another oddity in that 77 LeBaron cluster; there were two white wires behind the speedometer on the circuit board that were labeled power locks. I did not have power locks, but I often wondered why power locks would need to route on the cluster board, behind the speedo. I wondered if it was a factory prep for an automatic, speed sensitive, automatic door lock feature that just never was released as an option?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't tanking about the fuel pacer light – which was an option for many years of Chrysler. The fuel pacer light is a light attached to a engine vacuum switch, which turns on/off when engine vacuum is high (which means better fuel economy) vs. engine vacuum is low (when engine is either under a load and/or a lead foot) which means fuel economy is, um, not so good.

I know a fuel gauge can be converted to one with an LED (which comes on at about 1/8th of a tank, or so) – but was thinking I had seen one/some on high end F's. I guess my memory is thinking elsewhere.
BudW

Darth-Car

Reaction score
You know, I had a friend with a 77 318 F that had been de-lean burned by somebody in its life. His fuel pacer lamp was always on. I told him it just had to be a simple vacuum repair. It traced the wiring from the fixture, but never found a tie-in to a vacuum line. I finally decided it had to be controlled off of the now missing Lean Burn computer itself. Does anybody really know what triggers that light?

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Here is one of the more simple applications, just a vac pod completing a circuit and turning on a light. Like an idiot light for the lead footed driver.

s-l1600o88oo.jpg

Back