M body 7.25 to xj 8.25 swap

Gearhed

Reaction score
My 85 5th Ave has a 7.25 rear in it right now, and from what I understand some ungodly high ratio.

I just picked up a 8.25 Chrysler rear out of a 98 XJ Cherokee. It's a 3.55 open ratio, measures about 60" WMS to WMS (fmj is like 59ish I think?), and uses the same lug pattern and wheel hub bore as our cars. Should be 29 spline. Anyone else ever do this swap? I saw a thread using a KJ Liberty disc brake 8.25, but never an XJ drum brake axle

Obviously I have to cut off the existing spring perches, as they are for spring over, and install new ones, as well as ditching the shock mounts. That part should be easy. I'll be doing an iso clamp delete at the same time.

Looking at my parts book at work (the actual paper book lol) I'll need a Moog 319 u joint, which is a conversion joint from a Detroit 7260 series (our cars) to a Spicer 1310 (most jeeps from before the JKU 4 door era)

I'm guessing I'll have to shorten the driveshaft, can someone confirm/deny?

Drum brakes are very similar in size, and e brake cables look like they'll be pretty straightforward.

80mirada

Reaction score
You will have to shorten the driveshaft. The drums should be an easy one to hoof up. I would see if you could just swap the M-body cable into the Jeep brakes

Gearhed

Reaction score
That's what I figured. Anyone have an idea of how much shorter the driveshaft will have to be? I've got the 904 trans by the look of it

Gearhed

Reaction score
Since threads without pics are awful, here's a pic of the rear end that will be going in. Hopefully will start working on it in the next week or so
IMG_20200904_103119_172.jpg

Back