M body interior plastics

Status
Not open for further replies.

realgone58

Reaction score
Contact seller
All the cloth is peeling off my interior window trim in my Fifth. Took one A pillar trim out, peeled the cloth, tried everything from texture spray to Plasti-Dip. Everything looks horrible! At this point, I think it would be easier to find a Dippy/Gran Fury with grey interior trim and replace it with that. Most of it will work, I can do something else with the rear surround. Any ideas? Or, anyone know of or have a M body parts car with plastics they can spare?

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
in my 5th I had stripped all the cloth and glue off and painted them to match and didn't look bad
but since I wanted to change up the interior and make it look more luxurious again, I wrapped em all with grey vinyl

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
in my 5th I had stripped all the cloth and glue off and painted them to match and didn't look bad
but since I wanted to change up the interior and make it look more luxurious again, I wrapped em all with grey vinyl

Now THAT'S a cool idea.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Another idea is to take a piece of your original cloth and head to a craft store or Wal-Mart's craft department. I found red material for the headliner in my LeBaron that was so close to perfect you'd have to have it side-by-side to see a difference. You can also get the open-cell padding foam by the lineal foot, 3' wide if I recall. A pair of scissors and a little water-resistant heavy-duty spray adhesive and you're off to the races. The material they sell is also of lighter weight than the OE stuff, so it's less likely to sag over time. I washed mine on delicate cycle and dried it prior to installation to shrink it, but since it's gone I don't know if that helped. It may be better to finish the installation part first, then douse it with a spray bottle of pure water, and let it sun dry to shrink to the panel. Practice your layout a couple of times before using the adhesive. Install the backing foam to the panel first, then upholster. Used per the adhesive's instructions (I used 3M), you've got exactly one shot at it. It's also worth mentioning that the headliner is the best place to get a material sample if you can, since it's the least-likely spot to have sun fade.

If you want a custom look, shop around a little bit. There's an amazing array of options available at places like JoAnn Fabrics or Wallace World... plus, you'll earn bonus points with your lady if you go with her. I haven't dated/married a woman yet that didn't like to go to the craft store. :eusa_dance:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Also a great idea. I was thinking the same thing with my Fifth.
Just hitting a fabric store and seeing what's available.

realgone58

Reaction score
I actually have some of the fabric left over from the previous owner who had the headliner done. I tried wrapping, couldn't get the contours to come out. I figured out you have to lay the Plasti-Dip heavy. I hit the A pillar trim again, and it came out great! Stuck it back in the car and it looks pretty good. I'll grab a pic so you can see how it came out. I need do some more. I figure one or two pieces at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back