M Body with a slant 6 thoughts?

Duke5A

Reaction score
Depends on what you want. Is it reliable? Yeah, every bit that the 318 is. Is it as slow as a two legged dog? Yup.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Both aren't spectacular. Do you want slow or slower? Buy the best body you can find and magnum swap it

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Much respect for the Slant 6 for all the reasons -- however, if you intend to drive at modern speeds, please go for the V8. Yes, the Slanty can be hopped up, but Slant's have a long stroke. When you push them to a high enough RPM to keep up with modern Interstate speeds, it feels like you're piloting a high-speed lawn tractor. My Cordoba Slant 6 tops out at about 80, and it's perfectly happy to run that speed all day long, but the vibrations just make it a chore to drive for long.

$.02

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
my Pops dailyed a 83 slant 6 Dip for years when i was growing up. from what i remember, a very smooth driving and reliable car but on the interstate, it goes its own pace. it'll do it. he drove back and forth from the city to county everyday in it in the early 2000s. just don't plan to be in a hurry in one but nonetheless. even civ spec 318 Dips take their time getting up to speed (or at least mine does...). if there is one you have your eye on, save it. not many left esp 80s ones

LSM360

Reaction score
I wouldn't either unless it fell on my lap. A slant six A body, different story. Lighter and less smog junk on most. So I'd find an '85 and up when the slanty was gone in the M. Rear gear swap big help if you get 2.2.

LT512

Reaction score
my Pops dailyed a 83 slant 6 Dip for years when i was growing up. from what i remember, a very smooth driving and reliable car but on the interstate, it goes its own pace. it'll do it. he drove back and forth from the city to county everyday in it in the early 2000s. just don't plan to be in a hurry in one but nonetheless. even civ spec 318 Dips take their time getting up to speed (or at least mine does...). if there is one you have your eye on, save it. not many left esp 80s ones
I wound up getting an 85 with the 318 and you are right, it takes its time getting up to speed, but I smile every time I take a trip in it!

anjdevil2

Reaction score
Got this with a 360 installed, headers. 2.5" exhaust, QuikFuel 750 on a Weiand intake with a Sure Grip. I love it!!! It's quick and handles really nicely. Either OG 360 or 5.9 Magnum, you can't go wrong with a bigger V8 under the hood.

Dip2.jpeg

Hayzoos

Reaction score
My first car was a 2bbl slant six lebaron coupe. It did fine for me highway and local at the time but 55 was the posted limit. It kept up well even after the state went to 65 provided you weren't trying to push it too far. Dad's aspen wagons were 1bbl sixes but they had 3sp OD manuals.

Now, 80-85 mph is cruising on the toll roads around here. I don't think either setup would do well routinely there.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Is an M body with a 225 slant 6 a good vehicle or is the 318 the better vehicle?
This, I would suggest, depends entirely on your intended use.

If you want a reliable "from point A to point B" transport, yup, that'll do it.

If you want an exhilarating "from point A to point B" transport, nope, that won't do it.

Back