Made me sick!

Erics5th

Reaction score
So, where are the people to buy the cars and preserve them before they go to the derby? I've seen tons of 5th's and Diplomats on Craigslist around Seattle end up in wrecking yards because of no intrest or the seller wanted to much and didn't sell. Same with big Chryslers and big GM/Ford cars. If nobody wants them, may as well have fun with em! I've seen some nice Mopars being trashed in demo derbys... but I always walked away with a smile on my face.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
So, where are the people to buy the cars and preserve them before they go to the derby? I've seen tons of 5th's and Diplomats on Craigslist around Seattle end up in wrecking yards because of no intrest or the seller wanted to much and didn't sell. Same with big Chryslers and big GM/Ford cars. If nobody wants them, may as well have fun with em! I've seen some nice Mopars being trashed in demo derbys... but I always walked away with a smile on my face.

Couldn't agree more ! There's a big differance between being in the stands driving a derby car , and being on ground zero driving a derby car . Trust me . I've seen cars , " all cars " being sold on CR or otherwise sold and junked , or just left to rot because the seller wanted way too much for something they had that simply just wasn't worth it . However ! If you want that hard to find auto and it has to be that certain 1 . Call on a derby driver/builder . they go places and deal with things that would detour the common person from even thinking about going there . I know of 1 car build , mopar lover of the "Magnums" that has done just that . He's goes to a derby website , sees the type car he's looking for parts for , contacts them . Then buys directly from them . Currently in the process of buying from me a part that I bought from a derby driver/builder and had shipped to me from Pennsylvania . Now it's headed to Ohio .

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
The reality is that it happens, it hurts some peoples feelings but not mine because it is reality and I can't stop it. I am just glad if they are going to do it they film it so we can see how good our Mopars do.

Erics5th

Reaction score
The reality is that it happens, it hurts some peoples feelings but not mine because it is reality and I can't stop it. I am just glad if they are going to do it they film it so we can see how good our Mopars do.

No kidding. I loved the hit the Imperial did on the Cadillac (or Buick?) with the FRONT of it... taking out the right rear! I'm surprised they let that thing even run in the event.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Y'know, I understand what you guys are saying.
I know people are going to derby old Chrysler's and there's nothing that I (or anyone else) can really do about it. AND I understand that it probably IS a lot of fun plowing a big old Chryco into the side of some guy's Caddy and doing it in.
As far as no buyers?
Trust me... If I had the money and somewhere to put them, I'd save as many as I could.
But I have to live within my means and I have my hands full with the ones I already have.
Trust me. Actual fact is I'm not trying (or intending) to slag someone who's doing it.
It's just me. I have a big love for these old beauties and although I can usually find parts for my 5th without too much trouble, my only argument is.
As long as people keep wrecking them and the boneyards keep crushing them.
It's eventually going to become very hard to get those parts.
(Not without paying through the teeth for them anyway).
Nobody's making re-pops for these cars like they do for A's, B's, etc.
Trying to find certain parts for my Caravelle is like trying to find the lost ark.
I know it's gonna happen.
I just don't have to be all that happy about it.

I ain't sayin' I'm just sayin'.

ramenth

Reaction score
Comparing it to "saving everything" in my opinion is somewhat silly. Not everything is made available on craigslist. There was a clean '78 M-body sitting in the local Pick-A-Part. This car had a 24 hour tag from local code enforcement. Other cars might be part of estates where the kids just want to get rid of the "junk" and make a quick dollar. And for some, the quickest dollar is selling it someone who has cash on hand and a wrecker there the same day without the "hassle" of placing an ad somewhere and hoping not to get barraged by spammers. And a lot of times that means the local you pull it parts yard.

There's been three M-bodies in my local junkyard that I had no idea was even available! And I don't have time to drive the back roads constantly looking to score that one deal in a thousand.

Sorry, guys, but back when I had the room, the time, and the available discretionary funds I could - and have - bought M-bodies before the demo guys had a chance to get their hands on 'em. A buddy of mine used to call me to see if I'd be interested in 'em before he started making calls to the local derby guys. The cars weren't salvageable, per se, as buildable projects, but donated some clean parts. I now have three sets of doors to chose from when it comes time for Penny. Four Sure-Grip 8.25's. One of which will be winding up under Clifford. I had three header panels in perfect condition until the wife's old '87 5th Ave started attracting deer (two inside a month!). More 360 heads and intakes off of 318 4-bbl cars than I can count.

Guys, this is going to be something we're forever going to disagree on. You get a rush on smashing 'em? Some of us get a rush on seeing 'em preserved. M-bodies will never have the attraction to the crowd that, say, that Charger R/T or that Hemicuda will have. We'll hardly ever argue over low build numbers or the such. But when I see an M-body on a local show field I make a bee line for it to talk to the owner. It's usually the only one there!

And that's just talking M-bodies. It doesn't really address the attitudes involved a lot of times. I had a derby guy make an offer on my '69 Sport Satellite more door 383-4bbl car. He got pissed when I turned him down as it wasn't for sale. Depending on who you talk to this car may be as rare as a couple of hundred built or as rare as less than 30 built. It may well be the only one left in existence at this point in time (I've yet to find another one or even hear of one.) Yet all this guy could do was think of smashing the hell of it. And get pissed when I wouldn't take his money so that he could!

Don't get me wrong, I understand the reality of the situation. Derby guys aren't always car guys. And I understand the reality of parting cars out. It took me a long time to get my head wrapped around the idea "you can't save 'em all." And I thank the salvage yards that buy the old '69 4-door Belvederes that will one day donate clean quarters and rockers to my Sport. But because they bought those Belvederes before the derby guys swept in I'll have a shot at buying a set of clean quarters.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Once again agreed.
You made an interesting point I never thought about.

A lot of derby guys aren't car guys.
They just want to smash them instead of save them.

The topic sort of seems like kicking a dead dog now.
There seems to be two different camps.

Guys who wanna save them and guys who wanna wreck them.

As you said Robert,
I'm just glad a lot of them get saved or parted out before the manglers get their hands on them.

Do what you will but I still say it's an unnecessary waste to be trashing such a limited resource.

I know the M's "hold up better"
But doesn't it make more sense to trash some piece of crap honda or something along those lines?

Destroying a piece of history that you can never replace for what?
Another 5 or 10 minutes of driving?
Really?

Sounds silly to me.
But then again...
I'm one of the guys who saves them.

Last edited:

furyfrank

Reaction score
I will probally get in trouble for this comment but here goes, I wonder how many of the derby guys are named Bubba. !!!!!!!!. I guess you know where I stand.:angry6:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I will probally get in trouble for this comment but here goes, I wonder how many of the derby guys are named Bubba. !!!!!!!!. I guess you know where I stand.:angry6:

Nice.
Or Billy bob. :icon_thumleft:

Don't worry.
I'm probably already on the sh*tlist myself.

It does seem funny that our argument is that we want to save these cars and preserve history
And their argument is...
Well..uh.. They smash other cars real good.

Last edited:

furyfrank

Reaction score
I guess I watch to much of the worlds dumbest drivers and stunt men. I watch a guy smash a car and jump out on the hood like he really did something ????. I guess it must be a man thing to get rid of their anger.:BangHead:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I dunno Frank,
You'd have to let the shrinks work that one out.
Like I said.
Mashing a cookie cutter honda, toyota, hyundai..ok.
I can see that being a blast.
But mashing an old Mope?
THAT IMO is just a waste
Those parts ain't gonna be around forever.
When the M's (and J's) were made that was the end of an era of cars you ain't never gonna see again.
Kill the car and you're killing history.
End of story.

Ok. I've said my piece. I'm out.

Last edited:

CMX360

Reaction score
You guys know a day will come when there isn't even gas to run these things on right? Everyone going to do electric engine swaps? How many museums want a concours Mirada on display? It doesn't help that most kids these days don't really care about old cars and won't carry on the hobby. Best to enjoy them now. I would rather see an old mopar go out fighting than get trucked off, shredded, and sold to China to become rebar for some skyscraper I'll never set foot in. I would save them all if I could too but thats just not going to happen. People that buy these cars aren't the rich. Rich people buy B/E's and could care less about M's, J's, or an old Imp. Plus there is far more blue oval and bow tie guys out there than mopar or no car'ers who won't lose any sleep at night if a mopar bites the dust. Sucks but thats the real world. Just be thankful you have a car to play with at all. 7 billion people on this little planet of ours and only a fraction of them will ever own a single car much less have one to play with. Let "Bubba" have his fun and you have yours.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Okay, I thought I was out of this conversation.

CMX,
You make some very good points.
I figure we're still quite a ways off from electric engine swaps
But I get what you're saying.
Although there's lots of people at the stop lights and car shows who think your old classic is "really cool", they're not about to ditch their elantra and go on kijiji and buy one. I also realize that a lot of old M's are gonna wind up crushed in a boneyard. So on the one hand... Ok, let Bubba have his fun. I agree.
It's not like all of these cars are gonna go to a good home.

My only real reservation on this subject is CERTAIN cars shouldn't go this route IMO.
Ok, admittedly there ARE craploads of 5th aves, Diplomats and the likes that are fair game.
BUT IMO
Why mash a totally restorable 70's Imperial when a 88 5th will do?
You have to e-test 88' s up here so they generally wind up being parts cars anyway.

I understand the reality of the fact that I or anyone else can "save them all".
Wish I could.
As far as "museumship" and collectability go.
Don't rush that thought quite yet.
The going rate for M's seems to be on the rise.
People who might be thinking about getting into the hobby might see it as an inexpensive way to get into a "cool old car".

Ultimately...
Let Bubba have his fun.
But hey Bubba.
Try not to kill the rare ones.

Ok. I'm really done.

Last edited:

Ollywood

Reaction score
The same could be said about 5th Ave's. Their may have been crap loads built but their arent crap loads left. Lots around here were turned into taxis and now phased out, derbied, scrapped etc. High scrap prices did these cars no justice.

1st 2 years of M body production were Windsor built. Like the J bodys their use to be lots rolling the Windsor streets. Not so much since early to mid 90s.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The same could be said about 5th Ave's. Their may have been crap loads built but their arent crap loads left. Lots around here were turned into taxis and now phased out, derbied, scrapped etc. High scrap prices did these cars no justice.

1st 2 years of M body production were Windsor built. Like the J bodys their use to be lots rolling the Windsor streets. Not so much since early to mid 90s.

I know... I know...

I'm throwing up the white flag on my end.
If they're gonna do it, they're gonna do it.

I'm just trying to put a bug in their ear.

In the meantime...
If I find them first and I have the means to save 'em
I will.

furyfrank

Reaction score

WOW that means my beautiful original 87 fifth ave is becoming rare.:smileinbox:

Back