magnum in volare

alf44

Reaction score
i am thinking of putting a 93 318 magnum in my 79 volare with a /6-904 auto, 7 1/4 rear. i have a 85 5th ave was going to swap that drivetrain in volare but have a shot of getting a dakota with a 318 magnum. questions are.... can this engine be run with a older style carb and if so what carb to use. is the trans bell housing the same between magnum and L A blocks and will the torque converter bolt up?. im either going to use the 5th k frame or the schumaker mounts-- i know the oil pans are not the same. can a LA pan work on the magnum and the oil pump pick up tube will need to match the pan style. will the L A 904 work also? will not be running A/C, but will P/S, C/C.i know others have made this swap but i want all opionions ( oops ) as im low on cash and need to use as much of the parts as i can from the volare and the 5th and dakota, thank you all.:eek:ccasion14:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Alf44:

You can get a lot of information here:

http://www.magnumswap.com/

I think /6 and V8 bellhousing patterns are different. A LA V8 904 should work with a Magnum. You will need to be mindful of the balancing issues between the 318/5.2L and the 360/5.9L (and the balancing is different between the LA 360 and the Magnum 5.9L/360). It would be a good idea to get an 8 1/4" rear end at least, if not a full on 8 3/4". Carb is a matter of personal taste, but will be impacted by which intake manifold you use. There are carburetor manifolds the Magnum V8s, but some of them are for spreadbore carbs (so use a Thermoquad, Street Demon) and some are square bore (use a Holley, AFB, QuickFuel, or a Demon of some type).

Kostas

slant6billy

Reaction score
I'll list some things we ran into doing this a few years ago. I wish I had the link before we attempted it. Magnum oil filter interference, no mech fuel pump, no vac advance distributor, exhaust manifolds - need to check some early magnums were different. the torque converter has balance weights on some. If the trans is a lock up or not. Is the dakota an over drive trans? you might want it and utilize the A body conversion that is out there. If I could do it over, I would take the entire drivetrain and computer and harness. We also stuffed a magnum in a V6 1988 dakota- total hack job. The carb was a holley on a 2 bbl/ 4bbl adapter. actually the 2 bbl throttle body on the early 90's magnums is a straight shot to a 2 bbl carb. If you want a clean job, you'll need some decisions on which way to go, otherwise there is a level of hack job going on. Good luck

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
itll bolt on to the 5th aves k-frame and the 5th aves trans, but youll need to buy a carb intake for the magnum or have a intake drilled for the magnum heads (they go in at different angles). if the Dakota is a 318 there wont be any balancing issues.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
good tips billy. which brings up the question, has the 5th already been de-leanburned? if so you can use the dizzy/ignition from that, you can also swap out the timing chain for the fuel pump, but IIRC (and I could be wrong) but I think the early magnums had the spot for a mechanical fuel pump, youd just have to cut it out. if this is a early magnum you are getting, then I think slant6billy is correct, you can just replace the throttle body with a 2bbl carb and not worry about intakes like I mentioned earlier

brotherGood

Reaction score
You need an oil pan from a 360 L.A. car. There are a few other things..but I can't remember right now.

The /6 does have the different bellhousing I think. But I'd also look at getting an 8.25 under it. Otherwise, you won't feel like you've done much.

Last edited:

brotherGood

Reaction score
You can use LA exhaust manifolds on a magnum. Also, if you buy a cam snout extender, it allows for you to use the LA timing cover, fuel pump, etc. You can use the LA accessories too..but don't mix n match. Im assuming your planning on converting to carb..right?

alf44

Reaction score
everyone has good advice.. i have a 8 1/4 rear, have a v8 904, its a 93 magnum ,have electronic ignition distrib and wiring. dakota is a 4x4 so wont use that trans i have a 904 trans to use.. Billy, with the thought of taking the complete wiring harness, puter, etc,,, and being the dak is a manual overdrive with a dash switch ( not using trans ) the old 904 should still work as long as there are no balance issues?.. if this plan gets to complicated ill just forget it amd stick to plan #1. rebuild the 318 from my 5th ave and use the whole drivetrain with 8 1/4 rear, think that would save from getting anymore gray hair,lol ill read the magnumswap info first . thanks

brotherGood

Reaction score
If the trans from the Dakota isn't electronic..you can use it. Just wire up a switch for the OD.

if the magnum heads are good..use em. No matter if it's on the mag motor, or the LA..they're way better than the smog heads.

ramenth

Reaction score
good tips billy. which brings up the question, has the 5th already been de-leanburned? if so you can use the dizzy/ignition from that, you can also swap out the timing chain for the fuel pump, but IIRC (and I could be wrong) but I think the early magnums had the spot for a mechanical fuel pump, youd just have to cut it out. if this is a early magnum you are getting, then I think slant6billy is correct, you can just replace the throttle body with a 2bbl carb and not worry about intakes like I mentioned earlier

Or you can just hook in a simple in-line electric fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator and call it done, keeping the Magnum's serpentine belt.

Two wires, a switch, less than fifty bucks. At that point you can comb ebay for a good used 4bbl intake to use.

ramenth

Reaction score
everyone has good advice.. i have a 8 1/4 rear, have a v8 904, its a 93 magnum ,have electronic ignition distrib and wiring. dakota is a 4x4 so wont use that trans i have a 904 trans to use.. Billy, with the thought of taking the complete wiring harness, puter, etc,,, and being the dak is a manual overdrive with a dash switch ( not using trans ) the old 904 should still work as long as there are no balance issues?.. if this plan gets to complicated ill just forget it amd stick to plan #1. rebuild the 318 from my 5th ave and use the whole drivetrain with 8 1/4 rear, think that would save from getting anymore gray hair,lol ill read the magnumswap info first . thanks

Yes, the 904 will work. There won't be any balance issues. Remember, the balance is for the engine, not the trans. If you could find at least the tailshaft for a 2wd A500/518 it's a simple swap on the tailshafts to use the trans from the Dak. Bolt on, actually, then it's a matter of wiring up a switch to use the overdrive. But don't sweat the trans. If you have the 904, use it.

alf44

Reaction score
magnum swap.com is great, answered a heck of a lot of questions. but still up in the air on which engine to use :eusa_wall:

alf44

Reaction score
You can use LA exhaust manifolds on a magnum. Also, if you buy a cam snout extender, it allows for you to use the LA timing cover, fuel pump, etc. You can use the LA accessories too..but don't mix n match. Im assuming your planning on converting to carb..right?

yes im planning on running a carb , good to know bout exhaust manifolds,

brotherGood

Reaction score
I'm running my factory ahb manifolds on my magnum headed 318. I will be switching to headers though. As far as intake, I'm running the m1 dual plane..it's a square bore. The edelbrock rpm magnum is also a good option..and its a little cheaper new I think. I traded for my intake. Any other questions, I'll do my best to answer as well everyone what I'm sure. I've got a couple years of research into the magnum motor, and currently have the magnum/la hybrid setup.

alf44

Reaction score
i wouldnt be running any hybrid-straight magnum. by the way i read that the early magnum intakes just might accept a 2bbl carb? any truth to that?i dont see any problems with that besides height issues to hood clearance

brotherGood

Reaction score
there is (was) a Mopar M1 for the 2bbl. Not sure if there is now or not. The alternative..if your crafty..would be to fab up a jig to drill the la intake pattern into the magnum head. That'll allow you to use any la intake you want.

As far as I know..all magnum intakes were set up the same, for mpfi. I dont think any of them could run a 2bbl carb.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Alf44:

The "Engine Quest"/"Iron Ram" heads, which are improved Magnum heads (both for flow and to mitigate exhaust valve seat cracking) are exactly that. They are Magnum heads in terms of basic design, but can be bought with an LA intake bolt pattern. If you don't want to go to the expense of changing everything (air conditioning compressor, power steering pump. alternator, throttle linkage, etc.), then these are probably the most cost effective way to go. You get some of the best flowing heads ever put on a small block Mopar, and retain all of your accessorites, down to the throttle linkage and transmission kick down cable. Even on the Magnum swaps site, they indicate that the only real issue is ensuring a good port match. The Magnum heads, because they are on essentially an LA short block, must by necessity have the ports in places close to where they were on the LA Blocks. The only hassle is the straight intake bolts on the Magnum heads, and the angled one on the LA heads. But even there, a company called Crosswind makes an intake that fits both bolt angles. I think the Magnum heads are much closer in design to the larger ports on the 4 Barrel LA heads, but did read thatthe throttle body on the earlier Magnum engines could be replaced with a 2 Barrel carb; they were designed to accommodate a 2BBL carb in case Mopar wanted a lower cost alternative. With the flow capabilities of the Magnum heads, though, you would give up a lot of potential power due to the reduced flow from a regular sized 2 BBL carb, or if you used a really large 2BBL carb, would probably have drivability and fuel economy issues.

The Engine Quest heads, besides offering some of the best flow numbers, also increase the CR to about 9.5:1 (58cc combustion chamber volume) if used with a .028" thick head gasket, addressing the low compression issue with the 318s/360s from the mid 1970s-1980s. You do need conversion pushrods and lifters, though.

A hybrid LA/Magnum combo is not only possible, it is a good way to go at minimal cost.

Kostas

P.S. The link for the EngineQuest heads is here:

http://www.aamidwest.com/enginequest/eq-cylinder-heads/

At the bottom of the page is an article about a 318 street engine that makes 402 HP. This was after zero decking the block and using the KB167 pistons. Without the zero decking, I would think that it would easily make the power that you are looking for. They go through the build up logic pretty well, the keys being the flow numbers from the Engine Quest heads, the camshaft used, and the compression increase with the KB167 pistons. If I was not chasing the big numbers that they were, I would think that using the factory 4BBL iron intake (in order to retain all of the factory engine accessories) and not zero decking the block (but using the thin head gaskets) would still give over 300HP easily. I have read that the factory 4BBL intakes for the small block are actually pretty good.

Kostas

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
the key is to get as much donor parts as you can. Try to find a 2wd trans from 93 to 95. Even 90 to 95 46RH (the 518). I few locally out of 1 ton vans for a grand. I think that is too high. A guy at Salem county fair grounds/ Cow town swap meet had a bunch that were "built for 1100. They had non locking converters. For performance you want a non locker. for the economy find a locker converter type. The trans are different for each. I tried to use a locker out of van in the wrong trans and 80 pound paper weight..... grab it all

My imp

Reaction score
How much torque will a locking convertor handle? Other than 1 less than it took to blow it! Thanks, Larry

Back