Magnum swap info.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Would one not just use the magnum engine in its entirety? Accessories and all?

Why the need for timing cover swap?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Magnum oil pan is rear sump, and interferes with K member. You need to use an LA type centre sump oil pan. Which opens the timing cover gasket can of worms, since there are no Magnum engines for cars (as OEM). It's on the magnum swaps.com site.

Kostas

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
I was,,,,,,,,, told that they made oil pans interchangeable between the 5.2 magnum, and the 5.9 magnum. Is this true? Or do i need a 360 oil pan ?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
You need an LA oil pan; the Magnum oil pans (I don't know if they are the same between the 5.2L and 5.9L engines, but all Magnums were used on trucks only) will NOT fit in an FMJ, the sump will hit the K member.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The Magnum 318 and 360's use the same oil pan. I am assuming the Magnum 318's went to the older 360 style oil pan style block attachment.

I would agree, the Magnum oil pans will not fit passenger cars.

armataz

Reaction score
silly Q here but would the sump issue be the same if you use the slant 6 K frame with the conversion to V-8 mounts ?

Ele115

Reaction score
I have done my share of RB swaps. That said, The magnum swap makes more sense unless you have the stockpile of RB parts like I have. You're really able to just about double your horsepower and drastically improve your service life using stuff from wrecked trucks. I am surprised more people aren't doing this. They seem to prefer that GOD awful 5.7 Hemi.

Ele115

Reaction score
They fit well too. Love the big engines, but what a pain on the driver's side. I'm going to do one with a 5.9 magnum. You're right, they are no so much a swap as a factory upgrade

80mirada

Reaction score
The later 5.9 has a weighted flex plate, and some have the lower pulley as part of the damper. I got luck and the one I bought had the newer flex plate, but the older style damper

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
If I do another swap I'll probably go the hemi route. I'm already running a 360 now so if I'm going to bother I want to make it worthwhile. Plus the Magnum trucks are pretty much non existent around here now.
Then again a Magnum swap used to be something I thought about and never had a reason to do so something would really need to motivate me to go hemi ... and I've already got another 360 to use up first so it could be a while.

Ele115

Reaction score
I would like the hemi a lot more if the camshaft was getting adequate oil. Probably don't need the extra wiring either, but that doesn't bother me. 426 Hemi, MAYBE, but that would be a major pain in the butt

OLDIRON

Reaction score
I'm keeping my 3900-pound 93 318 Magnum 3.91 rear auto trans Dakota because it reminds so much of how the 69 GTS 340/3.55 rear auto trans Dart I had back in 74 ran.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Hard part would be finding a Magnum to use for a swap in some parts of the country. Here probably 90% of trucks that had a 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum are loooong gone.

Back