Manual Transmission in 1982 Cordoba?

JGC403

Reaction score
Is it possible to install a manual trans in a Cordoba using factory parts? The Cordobas never had a manual transmission, correct?

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
The Cordoba never had a manual trans.
Pedal assy and hump from an F body will help you.

Is there anypace to ride ATVs by u in Pa?

JGC403

Reaction score
From an F body? Did any J body have a manual transmission? Will F body pedal assembly bolt up to the existing location in the Cordoba?

Not an official area that I am aware of. I know people ride up in the coal strippins around Hazleton, PA. Not sure how legal it is though.

JGC403

Reaction score
Thinking about putting a 833 in a 1982 Cordoba.

My imp

Reaction score
I have almost everything I need. Here goes. The pedal assy. & hump are from an F body. The steering column gets a little tricky. I purchased an F body floor shift, non-tilt steering column. The stock tilt, cruise, & high beam equipped column should be able to be grafted together. I haven't found a console that will work with shifter offset & the larger Imperial seats other than the one out of a '71-'74 B or E body. I don't care for the look, or the feel of the console vs. armrest on the door. I'm not sure on the carpet for your Cordoba. Feel free to pm me any questions. Hope this helps.

Buck Atwater

Reaction score
I don't have it driveable yet, but I mocked up the 4 speed for my 80 Mirada. I needed an F body floor hump, pedals, Z bar and pivot, and clutch rod. The trans, shifter and rods are '69 A body. It's pretty much a bolt in deal, the floor hump fits perfect and the hole for the clutch rod is already in the firewall. You have to modify the pedal bracket a little to accept the clutch pedal and reinforcement, and drill 2 extra holes in the firewall but it's no big deal. I may modify the shifter a bit as it's a bit close to the dash in 1st and 3rd.

For now I'm just going to take the shifter out of the auto column, but I'd like to get a floor shift column eventually. I bought a new carpet set that I'm hoping will be wide enough make up for extra the floor hump width too.

mirada4.jpg

mirada4.jpg

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
I'm doing the same thing with a M-Body Coupe.
Pedals, z bar, linkage rods & Hump from a F-Body.
The Short shaft 4 speed & shifter was also from another F,
Then I found out that the 833 OD has a larger front bearing retainer
and wont fit into a A-Body bell housing.
So now I have just located a A-Body 4 speed that will
fit the bell housing and wont be a OD.
All of this is going behind a 340 followed by a 8.75 with 3.55.
Gotta Love a 4 speed

Last edited:

JGC403

Reaction score
Then I found out that the 833 OD has a larger pilot shaft

Do you mean the bearing retainer is bigger with the OD and won't fit the hole in the bellhousing.

Cause there are A-body bellhousings with the bigger bearing retainer.

Or you could take all of the guts out of the 833 OD and swap them into the 833 non OD case if you want to keep the OD.

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
The bearing retainer is bigger on a OD tranny.
I bought the OD 4 speed & the Bell Housing from
2 different people and didnt find out the difference
untill I tried to bolt them together.
I dont think they made different versions of the A-body
4 speed. or different version of the OD.
I don't know about changing bearing retainers.
I would rather have a true 4 speed then a OD.
But at the time a OD short shaft was all I could find.
And A- body 4 speeds are double the price & higher.

High Speed Pursuit

Reaction score
I don't have it driveable yet, but I mocked up the 4 speed for my 80 Mirada. I needed an F body floor hump, pedals, Z bar and pivot, and clutch rod. The trans, shifter and rods are '69 A body. It's pretty much a bolt in deal, the floor hump fits perfect and the hole for the clutch rod is already in the firewall. You have to modify the pedal bracket a little to accept the clutch pedal and reinforcement, and drill 2 extra holes in the firewall but it's no big deal. I may modify the shifter a bit as it's a bit close to the dash in 1st and 3rd.

For now I'm just going to take the shifter out of the auto column, but I'd like to get a floor shift column eventually. I bought a new carpet set that I'm hoping will be wide enough make up for extra the floor hump width too.

View attachment 3996

I've got the same idea for my 80...are you going to use your 60/40 seat or buckets? I can't decide yet but if you have already installed your 60/40 and it doesn't work with the shifter in 2/4 then I have my answer. I would appreciate a photo of the pedals after you hang them...looks great so far!

Buck Atwater

Reaction score
This car had a 60/40 bench but I'm planning to use the buckets from my other Mirada with the little center jump seat if possible. I'm thinking the 4 speed hump or shifter might interfere with a 60/40 seat, but maybe not if the seat is adjusted back enough.
If you look close at the above pic the pedals are already in the car but I took a couple of pics today, excuse the dirt the car hasn't had any glass in it for a while.

The over-center spring interferes with the fuse box a little, that's why it's hanging down, I just have to move it slightly. I'm still trying to find a chrome bezel for the clutch pedal too.

pedals.jpg

This is looking up, the clutch and brake pedal hang from the same longer bolt the manual trans cars use, and there is a extra reinforcement that helps support the clutch side that gets bolted to the firewall which you can see here. This stuff fits the Mirada pedal support bracket fine, you just have to drill 1 extra hole in the side. You can't just use the F body pedals as-is, because the pedal bracket is too short to meet the J steering column where it bolts to the dash.

pedalsinside.jpg

Here's where those 2 bolts come out the firewall by the booster. The firewall is already dimpled for the bolts, so you know exactly where to drill. Hope this helps some.

firewallbolt.jpg

pedals.jpg

pedalsinside.jpg

firewallbolt.jpg

High Speed Pursuit

Reaction score
Much appreciated! What kind of transmission cross member problems have you encountered? I was planning on using the 727 x-member and fab as needed...I'll keep my eye out for your clutch pedal chrome on my junk yard trips...thanks

Buck Atwater

Reaction score
The auto crossmember should be fine since A body 4 speeds have the mount in the same place. I did have to make a small notch in the cross member where it loops around up the floor for the shifter rods to clear a bit better.

Back