"Mellow" muffler

Deano

Reaction score
I'm looking to have new single exhaust put on the 'Baron. Leaning towards a Dynomax Super Turbo, but I'm not 100% sure about it. I don't care much for Flowmasters nor any kind of glasspack. Probably go with either 2" or 2 1/4" turbo style muffler with stock manifolds and factory tube routing. I've been on YouTube and listened to quite a few "sound" videos, but they're all cammed up and have duals. None for a stock small block Mopar.
It'll never be a race car or any kind of performance ride at all. I'd just like for her to sound good, but not loud enough to wake the neighbors.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
DynoMax is a good choice.
I ran them on my stock-cammed 318 with TTIs and dual full-length 3 inch pipes. She was; quiet enough and sorta mellow off throttle, less quiet the more throttle and rpm she got, and a lil raspy at full-song. Mine had no drone. I liked it a lot. Was never ticketed for loudness, and ran several day-trips with it.

Sub03

Reaction score
I know, it's impossible to find any good advice or sound clips on the web for single exhaust.

I got an '77 Aspen with a stock 5.2 magnum in it. At first I put a cheap Walker Thrush muffler under there, but I wasn't happy with the sound so I changed it for a Dynomax Super Turbo. Pleased with how it turned out with a nice deep sound at idle and in the city, and quiet at highway cruising.
I kept the original Y-pipe cause it was in good shape and no cats on it here in Norway. Then I got a 2.5" pipe from a local shop, borrowed a pipe bender to fit it in the original pipe routing. No cat on the intermediate pipe in 1977 here.
Ordered a Dynomax from Summit:
Dynomax Performance 17732 Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers | Summit Racing

I read a tip on the dippy forum from a guy who used the over axle bend and tailpipe from a Monaco on his Diplomat. They are 2.25" diameter and the original was 1.75" IIRC.
So this is what i got behind the muffler:

Walker 43633
1629589555687.png
Walker 24453
1629589596811.png
Walker 41206
1629589623106.png

Aspen500

Reaction score
I think you'll be happy with a Super Dynomax. Had them on my Aspen but they made a loud (very loud) interior drone, so now have Dynomax Ultra Flow welded mufflers. HOWEVER, on a stock engine, with single exhaust the drone should be minimal or no drone at all.

Deano

Reaction score
Thank you all for confirming my choice. The Dynomax site has sound videos of it's mufflers and I thought the Super sounded the best. Only thing is, it was a clip of a 2 1/2" exhaust on a 2010 Camaro SS, so my little 318 would probably be a bit quieter.

The only differences in these are one is 2" narrower and 1" thinner than the other. There's that price thing, too. Those subtle differences won't have any effect on sound, would it?

Dynomax Performance 17730 Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers | Summit Racing

Dynomax Performance 17762 Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers | Summit Racing

Aspen500

Reaction score
I noticed the first one is in stock, second says it ships from manufacturer. I take that to mean the 17730 is the more popular choice(?)

Generally, a smaller dimension muffler doesn't muffle as much. Mainly the length affects sound volume the most but the same also goes for width and height, to a lesser extent. Smaller=louder.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I have a plain walker muffler but for a 360 R body. Tail pipe needed to be shortened to make it fit but sounds good. Sorry no clips.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
A 3-pass muffler nearly triples the length of material that can be installed into it, for sound absorption. And also offers an opportunity for noise cancellation. A straight-thru muffler would have to be seriously long to achieve the same thing.

Deano

Reaction score
Just completed the order for the 17730. Now all I have to do is find a good exhaust shop!

I basically knew which one I wanted, but I like to get other enthusiasts opinion on the subject.

88_AHB

Reaction score
I recently decided that I wanted to change my exhaust sound as well. I went from having a pair of 2 1/2" 50 series flowmasters to now a set of magnaflow 14" mufflers. It's been just about a month now and I have to say that I'm fairly pleased with them so far. In the past I've always ran either a 40 series or 50 series flomasters and have always liked their sound. Maybes it's the fact that I'm getting older or developing more of a "refined" taste in things is why the change. Anyways, these have almost no drone when drone/resonance inside compared to the flowmasters and I also think has a more truer tone to them?

MOPAR MIKE

Reaction score
I built a 4-door Valiant once, used the Dynomax mufflers on it.
Had a E58 360 & 2.94 gear.
It would run 14.20's
Sold it to a good friend & he was a die hard flowmaster guy.
He changed the mufflers out & slowed the car down to 14.40's.

I dig the Dynomax stuff.

1982 IMP

Reaction score
I have 2&1/2" super turbos on my car.They sound good.Not crazy loud,but you know there not stock.Have them on my 82 Mustang also

Deano

Reaction score
Just got the muffler from Summit today. I have an appointment at the local exhaust tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck!

Deano

Reaction score
Well, I sure as hell needed luck. Tried to leave the exhaust shop, car stalled on me. Took around 6 times to finally get it going. I had decided a week or so to buy a new fuel pump and filter at AutoZone. Went in and ordered the parts, got in the car and it started right up. The second I put it in gear, it stalls again. 17 times later, I'm finally able to get it running and on the road. Get home, the garage door is closed, so I shut the car off and go inside and change out of my work clothes. Go back outside to pull the car into the garage, crank, crank, crank, crank. Won't even try to start now. Hopefully the pump is bad and that's it. Fingers crossed.

By the way, the exhaust sounds GOOD!

Deano

Reaction score
I also noticed something strange while the car was up on the rack. On the passenger side frame rail, just under the door, was a fuel line (?) zip tied to the other two lines, and a clear plastic filter. It was dry. One for supply, one for vent, and the other for return? The main thing I couldn't figure out is why the filter was bone dry. I even checked it yesterday as the car was idling before I shut it off- no fuel whatsoever. What's up with that?!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Simply being out a gas might a factor (not saying it is, I have no clue).
A rusted out Fuel line is one possibility (or line damaged, somewhere).
There are three sections of the fuel return hose and fuel vapor hose (at tank, under R/F seat and underhood) and three sections of 5/16" hose to the fuel pump and two more 5/16" hoses from pump to carburetor. The return hose is 1/4" and "I think" the fuel vapor hose is 3/16", maybe.

it is odd place for a fuel filter - but at least you know that gasoline (or lack there of) might be a good place to start looking.
BudW

Deano

Reaction score
I tried tracing the lines, but lost them when they went into the frame rail back toward the tank. Might try some more investigating when the weather decides to cool off a bit.

Back