Mirada Headers

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Okay , I sold my Mirada to a buddy, that sold it back to the brother of the guy that I bought if from, who sold it back to the original guy I bought it off of. So now,,,,,,,,,, I'm trying to help him achieve his dream car to pass on to his son. He was told that he needed block hugger headers for this car. I disagree. Can anyone shed some light on this for no one else other than me????????

Camtron

Reaction score
Any header for a A, F/J bodies will fit. With most brands you’ll have to take apart the steering drag link for install except with Dougs headers if I remember correctly. You’ll also likely need a Mopar mini starter for clearance. Definitely don’t need or have to be block huggers, should have more than enough room.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Doug's and TTI are pricey. Generic A body headers work and will contact the ground given enough time. I'm just not a fan of long tubes anymore and will happily give up a little torque for the simplicity of shorty. That being said I cant help you with what is available. I ran long tubes with my 360 and went shorty with the big block. Had to have that set made too. Went stainless as I wasn't going to worry about rusting them out.

80mirada

Reaction score
Doug's are quite a bit cheaper than TTI. The biggest problem with most headers is they tend to be made with thin metal. My Doug's were pretty damn heavy compared to all of the other ones I have helped install.

Camtron

Reaction score
I can attest to Summit Racing headers being thin and Abody headers hitting the ground; Well they used to, haven’t had it happen since I cranked my torsion bars back up when I installed my tubular upper control arms.
Had a hell of a time getting the summit headers to seal up too. Ended up having to use thick multilayer aluminum crush gaskets to get a solid seal.

79beep

Reaction score
for a starter use one for a early 90's magnum motor. Its a factory mini starter and will only set you back 60 bucks or so. Alot better than paying several hundred

Slodoba

Reaction score
anybody got any pics with dougs or TTI headers on. I went the cheap route and went with a set of Summits but I want to lower the front end a bit and have already scraped the ground with the summits

80mirada

Reaction score
IMG_20210606_175837.jpg

IMG_20210606_175828.jpg

IMG_20210602_183216.jpg

Doug's D453, they are only slightly lower than the steering and trans pan.

Slodoba

Reaction score
Ended up buying a set of gently used TTI 1&7/8s and had them coated at JetHot haven’t installed them yet. Going to set up my 518 transmission first.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Ended up buying a set of gently used TTI 1&7/8s and had them coated at JetHot haven’t installed them yet. Going to set up my 518 transmission first.

By the time you get done with this project you're going to have to change your name.

SRTMirada

Reaction score
I tried Blackjack and Hedman, neither of which would fit. I went with 340 manifolds for years which require a smaller brake booster. Eventually I tried TTI which fit like a glove. I would definitely recommend them. I was even able to eliminate the oil filter adapter.

20201213_115359.jpg

20200830_162624.jpg

20161001_183926.jpg

Duke5A

Reaction score
Oof. Another reason I learned to hate long tubes on small blocks: the oil filter!

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Cant see why these would not work. Ive used headman, TTi, and even the cheap china $208 SS units (now $280 with inflation) on an F without issues other then using the small starter. Cant see why they would not work on this car from the OP.

I dont know if some have got complacent with modern tech or old or just lazy but isnt headers one of the first mods we all did at 16 or 17 when cant or wont was not in our vocabulary? Id like to think most of us are still modifiers, fabricators and even innovators. The internet has made us lazy and less dependent on our own skills and free thinking.

Oh... Merry Christmas EVERYONE! Just a two day lag. :cool:

Screenshot 2022-12-27 at 06-07-24 1979 PLYMOUTH VOLARE Hedman Hedders Headers Parts & Accessor...png

Back