Mirada Window Seals?

jimmyray

Reaction score
Are there any sources to get replacement window beltline seals for a 1981 Mirada?

pic-03.jpg

CMX360

Reaction score
YES! Restoration Specialties will make them for you. Its a kit that has eight pieces (they give you the inside ones as well). I bought the kit this year and they look great and are very similar to the originals. It cost me $202.50 with shipping. I have not put them on yet so I can't say how well they fit but I doubt I will have any trouble.

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/
part #200613

miradacmx

Reaction score
I got mine from Brad's NOS Parts two years ago..they were the genuine part.

CMX360

Reaction score
brads insane. he probably wants 600

johnnyride

Reaction score
And it may be NOS at Brads, but make sure it's not damaged. I learned that the hard way with an NOS Cassette deck....that needed $300 worth of repairs. And it cost $295. His response, "I said NOS, didn't say it worked." And it wasn't even NOS, it had been in a car. Same thing happened with a center bezel. He said NOS, but you could see the screw marks from it being in a car. To be fair, I've gotten some good stuff from them too...but buyer beware with that group.

Last edited:

miradacmx

Reaction score
I paid 80 each when i got them. It depends on what he has in inventory.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Steele Rubber products does have them, but they are expensive (I asked them about 3 years ago, and they were about $US300 at the time).

I don't know for sure, but OEM vs. aftermarket (like Steele) brings up an interesting point. The OEM parts are probably over 10 years old, probably closer to 20-25. The aftermarket are probably newer. I don't know if the OEM parts, even stored out of the sun, may have deteriorated over time just from chemical breakdown or oxidation. On the other hand, aftermarket parts often have fitment issues. I never did buy the Steele parts, as I found a Mirada with perfect belt moldings at a pick-n-pull, and used them instead ($CAN15 vs. $US300 was a no brainer for me). Car must have been stored indoors for most of its life.

Last edited:

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
KK, good post
I have NOS belt mouldings....
I installed a set on a Mirada a year ago, there are cracks on both pieces on the drivers side(drivers side gets full time sun, from dusk to dawn)
NOS upper door sill mouldings tend to crack , still sitting in the original packaging, never installed.....
The disintegrating wiper linkage bushing has the same results, install an NOS unit and it might last one year. I know people have luck with NOS but sometimes it's just not the case...

Aspen500

Reaction score
In many cases the repop parts are made from better materials that may not have even been available when the cars were built 40 years ago.
I know this is an old thread but, I got my window sweeps from Restoration Specialties and they fit perfectly and also look 99% the same as the originals. I've got one inner and one outer NOS sweep up in the attic and they feel about twice as stiff as the repops. The date on the tag of one of them is from 1979 so 38 years old already. NOS only means it's a new original part, not that it's still any good. Any rubber, vinyl or hard plastic parts don't age well no matter how they were stored. I've also seen repop parts that are WAY better than the originals ever were. The currently available door opening and roof rail weatherstripping aren't examples of that however.:(

4speedjim

Reaction score
Ive read a couple places (here?) that GM "G"? Late 70s-early 80s Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Regal RWD body belt line window moldings are near perfect substitutes if your not building a 1000 point resto. I think the stainless and rubber exterior moldings are a 1/16" different. I havent verified this myself, but with the car back on the streets and moldings failing, its time to start. Lemme know if Ive got that wrong! I hate to be the one spreading bad info.

Back