Mopar RV2 A/C Compressor (Do they make)?

PLY478

Reaction score
I am getting closer to the end of the Long roof project.

Long story here. So my quick question is, Has anyone ever seen a A/C Delete Double Pulley?
This would let me remove the A/C clutch, remove the RV2 Cast compressor. And bolt in the delete kit with double belt pulley so I could at a later date install the A/C.

I could have sworn that I have seen these on some cars and truck late 70's to mid 80's

Any input would be greatly helpful, and maybe you have one in your Box O extra parts.

Picture of a RV2 Compressor shown.

Dodge RV2.jpg

PLY478

Reaction score
80mirada I'm looking for an OEM or an aftermarket OEM style one. Do you have one like this? Im in Wisconsin as well. LMK Thanks

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
They make what you are asking for, but I think it started in '81 or '82 (maybe). Before then, there were enough no-A/C cars/trucks being made to have separate pulley/bracket systems, but it got to the point that it wasn't feasible to have that many non-interchangeable parts for a few vehicles, so the no-A/C idler pulley and bracket appeared.
I will say you are more likely to find it on Northern or Canadian vehicles than mid or Southern state vehicles.

Personally, I would recommend finding a '70-79 small block no-A/C donor car (like most 340's came) and transfer the pulleys and brackets over. The pulleys and brackets on my '77 no-A/C 318 wagon are exactly the same as what was used on a '70 340 no-A/C engine. It makes for a much simpler and cleaner setup (other than locating the parts).
Also, most, if not all, of the no-A/C pulleys/brackets are being re-poped.
20170803_114604.jpg

Note: '69 or older small block pulley/brackets WILL NOT work (for the most part). It will need to be '70 and newer.
BudW

PLY478

Reaction score
BudW

LA engine: The reason I would like this idler pulley set up... Is because the car is a Factory AC car. And I would like to get it running and driving shortly, and then this winter install all the AC items. This way I would NOT need to take all the pulleys and brackets off the water pump again.

So this would save a lot of time and be a breeze to do later...

Do you have one of these pulleys?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, makes more sense, now.

I've seen a few for the aluminum C-171 A/C compressor - which came out in late '78 or in '79. I don't think I've seen one for the iron RV2 compressor.
BudW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I might have one of the pulleys. Ill try to look tomorrow or on the weekend. I grabbed a few as I saw them a few years ago because several people were looking for them but don't know if I have any left.

80mirada

Reaction score
The idler pulley setup appears around the same time as the 100 amp alternator. I believe they are actually the same idler for the RV2 and C171 era setups. The stiffening brace may be different. Mine is currently filling in for the compressor on my mock engine

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
You are correct. I forgot the no-A/C cars with 100 amp (or larger) alternators did use an idler in place of the compressor. The idler is the same but the mounting bracket is different between the RV2 and C-171 versions.

Aspen500

Reaction score
If it comes to it, you could pretty up the compressor and bolt it on. With the clutch not engaged, it's just an idler. Only an idea..............

PLY478

Reaction score
Aspen500
That is an option I thought about.. and may end up doing.

Da Tree Six Dee is almost ready for the run stand before it goes in the Longroof!

11FC88CC-A14D-4679-B332-2A76DE75DB08.jpeg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Engine looks sweet!

I've never seen one of those idler setups before, that I remember anyways.

PLY478

Reaction score
Thanks Aspen500!

XfbodyX Yes it needs to be a double grove pulley. If you have a single one please post a picture. And I might have you take some measurements if you could.

PLY478

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Mopar made delete kits single and double, they are in the extra AC insert in the parts book for the mopar add on ac kits and Ive seen them on ebay from time to time but like most things unless you buy ahead its hard to find a 40 year old part just like that.

Myself id rather change out a bracket vs have an extra old idler pulley, esp. a used one but its not like we put thousands of miles a year on these old things.

Back