Morning Surprise after 3 inches of rain

Justwondering

Reaction score
IMG_3989.jpg

As I stood on the balcony this morning, surveying my waterlogged domain I thought the Fifth looked like it was sitting odd.
Flat on the rear.
Let the day begin!

Justwondering

Reaction score
The story continues...
Aired up the tire and took off to town to have the tire guy look at it.
Couldn't find a leak. He wants me to watch it, wondered if it was a valve stem issue. Reseat everything and put a cap on it.

While the wheel was off here are the pics of the passenger rear:
IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg
IMG_3992.jpg
IMG_3993.jpg
IMG_3994.jpg
IMG_3995.jpg

Does anything here look hinky? First time I've looked at the raw underside of a car I cared about.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Those shocks might be original. Depending on the mileage it might be time to put 4 new ones on.

Up North we get corrosion on those road wheels, at the bead. This will cause them to leak air. Not uncommon to have a tire shop have to buff the bead edge for a better seal.

Justwondering

Reaction score
alright, I've been flipping pages in the 1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue Service Manual..
where do I find info for the universal? I must be looking right at it and just having a brain fart this evening.
--- Post updated ---
Ok - its chapter 16. Somehow, that section was stuck together and I kept flipping past it.. Dang it.

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
You could do what I do and just paint everything under the car black. Don't know if it really does anything, but it makes things look a bit better.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
There is a slimy used car dealer, here in down that does that. He must own stock in a company that makes black paint.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Its tough not to compare what I see in the engine compartment and the car's undercarriage to some of the wonderful work done by members here.

At this point, I'm getting a better understanding of what I should spend my time and resources on and what is a superficial concern best left for another day.

I've learned that rust is bad but in some places its deadly and in others its an irritant. Now I'm working on distinguishing the difference... much to learn.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
It would be best if the factory spent extra time and money to make sure everything was painted/coated to begin with – but in art of pinching pennies, it is a wonder that most items even got what they did get (paint or coating wise).

I have seen new leaf springs, differentials, control arms and spindles come from part suppliers without any paint. I have seen the same with a dusting of paint (if you want to call it that). I have also seen them with a nice layer of paint.

Things like leaf springs and differential housings, rust, although not good, is not going to be a big concern. Control arms would be more susceptible to rust – but not to same effect as frame rails are.

The body (frame rails, floor pan, trunk pan, quarter panels, etc.) use thin metal and rust (cancer) will affect those items to point of disabling car long before rust will effect leaf springs or spindles.

Now with that said, rusty control arms might be the next thing to cause a problem.

I’ve heard a rumor, that on a calm and quiet fall night, you can actually hear your neighbors Chevy rusting.

BudW

Back