Mostly M-body stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Well, so far the only thing seems to be the headlight bezels from 49802; shipping would be cheap to Detroit since it's within the same state (even though it's 450 miles from me). Shipping the dash bezels to CT was about half of what getting those headlamp bezels into SyrupLand would cost.

No way I could get down there myself, though... too many complications on this end.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well, marked "Repair" seems to be the trick... it insinuates you're sending it back. Still not cheap, though. Cut/pasted from UPS site:

UPS Standard Latest Pickup Time:
4:00 P.M. Monday
January 13, 2014
Schedule by :
3:00 P.M.
Delivered By:
By End of Day Thursday
January 16, 2014
Guaranteed
27.04 USD [SUP]*[/SUP] Billable Weight: 11.0 lbs.

Obviously, the dates don't apply since it's not shipping today. :D

I can live with $30 for shipping.
I'm tied up right now but I'll send you a PM later today and we can figure out payment and shipping particulars...
Thanks!!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
USPS is generally the cheapest shipping method of getting stuff into Canada. UPS and Fed-Ex ground charge anywhere from $35-50 for "brokerage services", while USPS packages generally have a $5 charge for brokerage. In many cases, if the value is below $100, they don't charge brokerage or GST. Don't quote me on this, but if the $5 brokerage fee is more than the tax, then they don't charge either, is what I am suspecting.

Kostas

8d5 AHB

Reaction score
I like the dash bezel...the PRNDL cover is just a sticker, and that would be the only thing I'd need.

NoCar340

Reaction score
No, it's not a sticker. Look at the picture again. It's a rather large rubber boot that is permanently attached to the bezel from the inside but covers a much larger area than the PRNDL window. It's like half a huge grommet, and it also seals around the top half of the column.

It was never serviced separately; it fits over pegs on the back of the bezel that were then heat-swedged down to permanently clamp it in place.

No matter; as mentioned, the bezel and matching glovebox door are sold and shipped. In fact, he should've gotten them today.

8d5 AHB

Reaction score
I may have confused you there, sorry about that, but I'm not talking about the rubber piece on the bottom between the steering column and the bezel. Over the "PRNDL" window is a thick vinyl/plastic applique, you can a finger nail on the lower edge and peel them back. I've removed them from a LeBaron LS coupe and a Diplomat coupe that way- might be different in certain plants/runs/model years, but I know from experience that Chrysler simply 'stickered' over that section of the bezel (way cheaper than tooling up for a very small run of console-equipped cars). And the late '70's and early '80's were crap financial years for Chrysler, so they had no extra cash floating around

NoCar340

Reaction score
If this one had a sticker, it was under that big honkin' rubber piece clearly visible in the picture. I can't look at it now, because it's with its new owner. It didn't come from my car, so I can't tell you anything about the original application. A friend of mine found it in a Pull-A-Part in Georgia about ten years ago and sent it to me.

AMP762

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks NoCar340 for the parts.Got them yesterday they were as described and the mail didn;t killem.Its been a business doing pleasure with you.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I'm glad you're pleased with the parts.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Woof. If you're interested in anything left and you're from Canada, prepare to take a whoopin' on the freight cost! I got the headlamp bezels shipped today (finally) and it would appear that USPS has done away with Parcel Post to Canada. International Priority only. The box was 17x11x12, weighed 7lbs. 13.4oz., and cost a rather-staggering $46.00 to ship. It would've been around $29 UPS, they claim, but I couldn't get through the online forms since I didn't have my great-grandparents' immigration papers, my fourth-grade report card, Cousin Egbert's college transcripts or my dog's driver's license handy.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
NoCar340:

It still ends up being cheaper to ship via US Postal service for the end user. UPS would have imposed a brokerage fee of anywhere from $35-$50 to the person recieving the package, which you do not see as the shipper, in addition to any applicable taxes. The US Postal Service package can have a $5.00 brokerage fee, again above the applicable taxes. Generally, though, if the package is less than $60 or so in declared value, there are no taxes or brokerage fees imposed on US Postal Service packages. They are ALWAYS imposed by UPS, without fail.

Bottom line, the extra $17 that was paid in shipping costs is more than paid for by not having the $35.00 UPS brokerage fee imposed, regardless of any taxes.

Interesting thing about the UPS brokerage fee is, that they don't really do anything to earn that fee. The paperwork that you need to fill out as a shipper makes it a simple 5 minute process to get the package through customs. Yet they still charge a minimum of $35.00. They also don't charge businesses the brokerage fee.

Kostas

My imp

Reaction score
So much for friendly neighbors! Do we do the double Dutch door the other way around? Or is it just a one way cluster f**k?

NoCar340

Reaction score
Well, as long as the process and costs are understood, I guess it's not that bad as those bezels would've ultimately cost the good Captain about $65 in shipping, rather than the $30 upon which we agreed. I certainly don't expect him to make up the difference; call it "tuition" on my part. Problem is, after a little further digging, I found out Parcel Post still exists internationally, but maximum package weight is 4lbs. I probably could've shipped the bezels separately for less money.

As a side note, UPS should forward most of that brokerage fee to the customer. Those forms are an absolute nightmare to navigate. Why would I have to generate an invoice for the parts through UPS?! The last time I shipped UPS to Canada, I marked the box as "Repair/return", which at that time skirted the brokerage fees since the ultimate destination was actually the U.S. I'm not sure if this is still the case but if you look on UPS.com, when shipping to Canada, there is "Toronto" and "Toronto - REPAIR" listed as shipping options. The same two options exist for other Canadian destination cities. I also know it's much easier to ship at the UPS terminal than it is to do it online, however my work schedule does not allow for it since UPS is only open from 4PM-5:30PM and I work 20+ miles from it, until 5PM daily.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well, as long as the process and costs are understood, I guess it's not that bad as those bezels would've ultimately cost the good Captain about $65 in shipping, rather than the $30 upon which we agreed. I certainly don't expect him to make up the difference; call it "tuition" on my part. Problem is, after a little further digging, I found out Parcel Post still exists internationally, but maximum package weight is 4lbs. I probably could've shipped the bezels separately for less money.

As a side note, UPS should forward most of that brokerage fee to the customer. Those forms are an absolute nightmare to navigate. Why would I have to generate an invoice for the parts through UPS?! The last time I shipped UPS to Canada, I marked the box as "Repair/return", which at that time skirted the brokerage fees since the ultimate destination was actually the U.S. I'm not sure if this is still the case but if you look on UPS.com, when shipping to Canada, there is "Toronto" and "Toronto - REPAIR" listed as shipping options. The same two options exist for other Canadian destination cities. I also know it's much easier to ship at the UPS terminal than it is to do it online, however my work schedule does not allow for it since UPS is only open from 4PM-5:30PM and I work 20+ miles from it, until 5PM daily.

Wow!!
Hey man...I had no idea you took a fisting on that deal....
Let me recover from all the parts I've bought the past while and I'll try to send you a bit more to take the edge off.
Shipping is beyond brutal these days....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back