MOTOR PLATE/LIGHTEN THE K

CM360

Reaction score
Installing a motor plate for a BB. I want to lighten the K member. What can/not be cut?

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Obviously the stock SB motor mounts.
Whatcha thinking of doing for weight reduction? Swiss Cheese the K Frame with a hole saw?

CM360

Reaction score
Since the motor will not be held in place with the K member, I thought that I could reduce the overall width of the K member. I'd loose the torsion bars and see about using a coil over front end w/o spending 5K+ for an Alterkation assembly.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Member Greg55_99 has experience installing different K Frames into an FMJ.
As being that you're eliminating the torsion bars and going coil overs, the K Frame will see a lot less twisting load.
Are you going to be caging the car?
How are you going to support the tops of the coil overs ?
I'm thinking of using an SW complete strut front end kit, replacing the factory front Frame rails. Car will see some street use and will be in the hi 8's low 9's on the track.

CM360

Reaction score
I just rebuilt a front end for an Aspen. Welds were a little bit crappier than usual and that transverse torsion bar hangs about 50 lbs to the front. With 100 lbs more than a SB, I'm looking for alternatives to replacing the front end. The more I do the more $ it gets. Then it becomes about practicality. Better to buy a roller than to build?

Back