Moving the leafs inboard

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
I know there's a thread somewhere on here . I just didn't look for it . I just acquired a Ford 9" with 3:70 gears . I measured the backing plates to find that they were like 2 3/4 inches shorter than the 8.5 that's in my '80 Mirada . I'm still gonna use it . Can't beat what I got . So ,,,,,,, ! Here's the question ! What material thickness did y'all use to move them inboard ? Pics would be good too !

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Shorty, do a search on FABO Only, "spring relocation" There's great tech , help and support there..........

Typically material thickness is 3/16"..

You might want to go four link, sounds lime you're building a serious ride!

Just curious, why did you choose a Ford 9"?
There's some great tech on MoFarts on the 8 3/4 vs 9" debate, thread 'Back bracing an 8 3/4' .... Interesting reading material..........

image.jpg

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Shorty, do a search on FABO Only, "spring relocation" There's great tech , help and support there..........

Typically material thickness is 3/16"..

You might want to go four link, sounds lime you're building a serious ride!

Just curious, why did you choose a Ford 9"?
There's some great tech on MoFarts on the 8 3/4 vs 9" debate, thread 'Back bracing an 8 3/4' .... Interesting reading material..........

Thanks ! I'll certainly have to take a serious look at that .

Why the 9 inch ? $120.00 and a 370ish gear .

Serious ride ? Yes sir , I sure hope this turns out like that . Right now I'm in the process of putting a 360 crank into a 318 . I know , I know , it's already been done . It's a high school dream . Now then . If I can get this pup to jump up and bite with that , I'm going big block, back halfed , and 4-link next time .

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
No , be more like who's done it / how to type question . Pics be nice as well . Have you done it ?

Yeah, just a simple perch relocate and bolt-in offset hangers.That's all I needed to fit 325/50-15s into a 68 Barracuda; plus of course narrowing the housing, to center those up on your favorite wheels.

Back