My car’s value.

Snyder9erJr.

Reaction score
I get your guys’ point, and I have been told the same thing before by other people but I’ve been torn between selling this car and my cheap daily driver and getter something newer and nicer with the combined money. But I have decided to keep it and and slowly work on it for the next few years. And also, I think of it this way, you never know that these cars won’t be worth anything. Maybe not these next few years, but in 20? They could be.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If I knew what was going to happen in the future – I might be doing something else with my life . . .

I get comments about my ’77 wagon all of the time – mainly because there is not much else out there like it and the color just pops. Also, it is fun to drive (in my opinion).
I have been working on Mopar vehicles for over forty years, so I know these vehicles like the back of my hand. I’d much rather work on a wagon like yours, than I would on my wives 2002 Town and Country minivan any day.
Currently, I have three vehicles I drive daily (in rotation): my ’77 wagon (like yours), a '86 Chrysler Fifth Ave (same chassis as yours) and a ’97 Dodge ¾ ton diesel pickup. Other than the boat anchor of a rear differential gear ratio currently in the Fifth Ave (2.20 to 1), all three are not bad for daily driving. I have a differential to install into the Fifth Ave that will fix that concern (2.93 to 1) – just need to get off my behind and get it done.

The way I look at it is all three (or five if you include wife’s van and my ’70 300-H) are paid for and I plan on driving each until the wheels fall off or some other major issue arises. If wheels do fall off, I can afford to fix and get back on the road for a way lot less $ than buying another vehicle (I wouldn’t let happen to begin with).

When young, car payments are no fun.
Correction, “car payments are no fun” no matter how old you are.

Your vehicle might not have the best paint on it as all your friend’s cars have – but I reckon you will have less money fixing yours as opposed to your friend’s vehicles repairs will have when either breaks down.

A bit more about my vehicle history can be seen at this link https://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/classicmopar/threads/first-time-entering-into-a-car-show.5250/#post-57856
After the history, the thread goes elsewhere – not relevant to this thread. I’ve had some muscle cars, economy cars and those in-between. I would love to own another Mopar car of the late ‘60’s but the prices are just out of site. Besides, I can do a lot with what I already have (just need to get off my behind and get it done).

By the way, I'm glad your here.
BudW

Snyder9erJr.

Reaction score
Thanks BudW. Hopefully I will get to keep my car for at least a few years more. My parents have a friend who’s nephew just died because he was in his “older” car. So now they’re freaking out and are about to force me to sell my cars and get something that actually has airbags. Thanks for your help, I hope I will still own my car by this time next year.

5th avenue Rob

Reaction score
I have had a lot of 900 dollar cars that draw bigger crowds at a car show than a 57 chevy. You just dont see old wagons on the road any more. Drive the hell out of it thats priceless.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The M-body (same basic chassis as your wagon) – the newer ones came with a driver’s side air bag (‘89 and some ‘88’s).

Now I realize a forty-year-old car might have some rust – so maybe not as crashworthy as it was when it was brand new – but there are some safety aspects of your car that most people don’t know about.

One item is all F and M-body’s (J-body’s do not have) bumper shocks on front and rear – as well as extremely heavy bumpers. Note: do not take one off, or try to carry one, by yourself!
There is a disagreement on how much the bumper shocks can absorb, but number I see more often is they are good for 20 (or 30) MPH (combined, if more than car is involved) impact. A 20 MPH impact will total most of today’s cars – but then you also have the benefit of air bags.

A ‘79 F-body will hold up better in an accident than say a ’69 Road Runner will, if in a comparable accident.

If parents were concerned about safety, then I would go get a mid ‘70’s full size car (doesn’t matter who makes it).
An ’75 New Yorker (for example) – about the only thing on the road today that would hurt you would be either driving off the road or playing chicken with a Semi.
BudW

old yellow 78

Reaction score
a lot of 900 dollar cars that draw bigger crowds at a car show than a 57 chevy. You just dont see old wagons on the road any more
I agree. Tri-Five Chevys put me to sleep. I'm more interested in cars that are works in progress, unrestored, unusual, and stock. At Carlisle this year, the A bodies were almost ALL restomoded in some way, and got boring quickly. I really wanted to see some stock, preserved examples. And not everything HAS to have only two doors - that gets boring too. Now, wagons? I love them!

old yellow 78

Reaction score
A ‘79 F-body will hold up better in an accident than say a ’69 Road Runner will, if in a comparable accident.
You are probably right, but neither would be good. Todays cars may be largely dull, colorless, copies of each other, but they are safe. That is one reason that I don't drive OY all that much. Several months ago, I ALMOST rolled OY trying to avoid a wayward deer, whereas the same incident would have just been a quick twist of the wheel in my Mazda 3. They are two completely different cars, and I love them both for different reasons. I have to admit, I would not want my 16 year old driving a 40 year old car as a daily. I also doubt most 16 year olds would want to! lol! o_O

Snyder9erJr.

Reaction score
While I did not know that a Volare would deal with a crash better than an old muscle car, it’s also hard for me to keep my car. My choices are: keep my Volare or sell big my cars and buy a 5.7 Hemi Magnum. While I really like my car, I don’t really want a car with 100 some horsepower that doesn’t even feel like it’s touching double digits. My ‘95 S10 is just as fast. While if I do end up getting rid of my car it won’t be the last time I’ll own something like that. Especially a wagon. It’s hard for me to keep my Volare rather than getting a Magnum. Especially since what teenager doesn’t like to go fast?

4speedjim

Reaction score
Whats hard? Discussing it with mom and dad? The temptation of buying, or trading your folks the Aspen for a 5.7 Magnum? Deciding what direction YOU want to go? Any old car is a terrific and affordable learning experience. The more you do the better you'll be prepared for the rest of your life. Even if you become a Dr, having an idea why your Escalade, lawn mower or sons dirt bike wont start or shift better prepares you to deal with a repair and what about it should cost. But jumping into a late model rust free, cold AC suv has its advantages. It will never be unique, but it will give you 25mpg. If you want to go fast, buy a cam, carb and intake and learn how to install it. Or start with a set of cheap headers and dual exhaust. You spend some time on your old car, make it faster, louder, corner better and wild horses will never tear you away.

Snyder9erJr.

Reaction score
Thank all of you guys for your help and encouragement, however my parents have sold my car for a magnum. I will try to get another f-body, hopefully a wagon, but until then I will not be an active member. Once again thank you.

mike2

Reaction score
Good luck Snyder9erjr, the magnum is also a very cool wagon, try to get an 2008 last year made , different front end. they are great driving wagons, and have air bags. all the bells and can be pretty fast . should post some pics if you get one. I am sure everyone here would love to see them and follow some progress with what you are up to .

5th avenue Rob

Reaction score
Great car. I have a 2015 Chrysler 300. And had a 2012 charger. Loved them both. Last mopar wagon. Very cool.

barbee6043

Reaction score
In 1975 I got hit head on by a 80 mph drunk in a big Lincoln, I was in my 68 half ton Ford, I am still kicking. (He ain't). Maybe air bags are over rated.

barbee6043

Reaction score
Modern vehicles have their place, as do our old ones. What is it worth? What someone will pay and you also agree to accept. I turned one down like your last month for $800, actually $650 if I came after it that weekend. I peg yours at $1000- 2500, remember: anything over scrap is salesmanship. Just how good are YOU!?????
And modern cars are not investemnts at all.
Please send $25 for my appraisal fee! Good luck!!!

Back