My car remembered from the old days

Aspen500

Reaction score
Last evening I had the car out for a spin and stopped on the way home at The Rib Mt. Petro Mart to pick up a 2 liter of Diet Dr. Pepper. Anyways,,,,,,came back out and a new Challenger was parked behind and the guy checking my car out. He asked what was under the hood. I told him "Slant 6", lol. He's like "yeah right! 340, 360?" I told him a 500" stroked big block. He mentions about 20-25 years ago there was an lime green Aspen around that was rumored to have a 440 and it had fenderwell headers. It just vanished and wondered what ever happened to it. Well, wonder no more because this is that car and yes, it did have a 440. He asks if I just bought it. Nope, owned it since 1987 and will until I'm 6 feet under.

Turns out (and I never realized it) the car had a reputation for being quick. I guess it was but was no 10 second car by any means. Not even sure if it would have been in the 12's, or even low 13's for that matter. Bone stock, half worn out 440 but apparently fender well headers give an illusion that it HAS to be fast.

This is the second time something similar has happened. I honestly had no idea the car in it's former state got so much attention. Kind of gives a guy a little ego boost! Being someone that has basically no ego to begin with, every little bit helps! :icon_lol:

Yes I know, I spelled remembered wrong in the title.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Thanks Captain!
A little off the topic but a Twilight Zone story nonetheless. I bought my '96 Dakota in 1998. Sport pkg, reg cab, short box, bucket seats, chrome pkg (wheels and bumpers) V-6/auto with dealer installed bed liner and tonneau cover. It was sold new at Scotty Pippin's Dodge Store on Lakeshore Drive in Chicago. Not long after buying it I was filling up with gas and a black Dakota Sport pulls in to the pump behind me with Illinois plates. It was an EXACT twin with exactly the same options (no more, no less), same color exterior and interior, same dealer installed bedliner and cover and it was sold at Scotty Pippin's Dodge Store. To really make you look for Rod Serling, for the hell of it we looked at the VIN's. They were sequential! These two trucks came down the line one behind the other, built exactly the same, going to the same dealer who installed the same add on's. By sheer coincidence he pulled into the same station I was at on his way "up north" (that's what people from Chicago do I guess). Weirdest thing ever..........

Back