My days off Fifth Avenue do list.

lowbudget

Reaction score
I'm at work getting my do list ready for days off in another 18 days. I have my parts list ready to go and the order dates marked on my calander, so the parts arrive around the same time I do. I want to do a show 1 week after I get home so getting it all done will be hectic.

1. Gut the lean burn and feedback carb. I have all the parts for this but I am still on the fence whether to use a 2280 or a BBD. The BBD is NOS but will need gone through anyway due to age. I have a few 2280's to choose from including a new rebuilt one I scored off of FBBO. It will need gone through due to age also, besides rebuilts scare me. I will also change out plugs and wires.

2. A full service oil change and lube. I did the tire rotation last days off.

3. New 2 1/4" exhaust with the Canadian Y pipe. The main reason for this is for more flow and sound.....Yeah right, really it's to get the Y pipe out of my way in the garage, it's been in my way for a year now. The increased flow and sound are just extra benefits. LOL It's all direct bolt in except for cutting the restriction off of the Cat piece and adding more 2 1/4" pipe there. Total including the Y pipe is going to be around $220.00. I'm leaving it smogged for now. I was going to go 2 1/2" but it would have cost more and been a pain to put in where this is simple and no pipe bending. I have Malcolm over at Dippy and slack time at work to blame for this as he had all the part numbers in a post.

4. New double row timing chain with tensioner. This is a maintainance job in my book and probably needed at 125,000 miles. This is going to run me $160.00 but I'm going to change everything out while I'm there: water pump, hoses, belts, fuel pump and thermostat. I can't see pulling it apart and going back together with the old stuff, besides then I have spares. Most of the stuff if not all of it is 28 years old. This can wait until after the show though.

5. Get the windows retinted. The tint is bubbled on a couple windows. This is a must if I'm going to show it.

6. A quick buff, wax and detail and I'll be ready.

Oh well it's only time and money.

Last edited:

Monkeyed

Reaction score
hey, if you have extra time and money I could always use a bit of both! :laughing6:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing almost the same. The lean burn hasn't given me any issues so it'll stay for now. But the rest is on the slate.

lowbudget

Reaction score
I did the lean burn conversion. It still looks stock. I put the ECU on the passenger inner fender as it was on the F bodies. The 6280 had a plugged off ported vacuum so I used it as I would have had to t off the choke pulloff on the 2280 carb. I left the computer plugged in. I did a 70 mile road trip to check it out and got 20.4 MPG and that was with a heavy foot. It idles so much smoother but that could also have been caused by the corrosion on 2 of the plug wires on the lean burn distributor cap. I left it so all a person has to do is pop the lean burn distributor in and run a coil wire to the lean burn coil in the corner. I did mount the new coil in the old coil mounting location. Off to do the timing chain

lowbudget

Reaction score
I installed the new double row timing chain, water pump, fuel pump, belts and hoses. The bypass hose was cracked all the way down it. I don't know why it hadn't exploded. I put on the 2 1/4" exhaust, it sounds so much better. I will figure mileage Sunday when I go to Colorado. It runs so much smoother!

Aspen500

Reaction score
Not intending to hijack! Replaced the timing chain and gears on my '96 Dakota (and retrofit the '97 and up tensioner setup) a couple days ago. It made a huge difference in exhaust note, low end torque, runs like it did 100,000 miles ago plus,,,,,,,,,,it doesn't rattle at idle anymore! Old one was so loose it was at least 1/2 tooth off on cam timing. Steel gear though, no nylon.

Last edited:
Back