My drivers side front window will not open or stay closed.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
So, this happened about 3 weeks ago where I got to my destination and I go to roll up the window and just hear the motor churning and nothing happening. Then the window would start to make its way up the track. It didnt do it again until today when I rolled it down just fine and then go to my destination and it would not roll up at all.

The motor has power and IS turning, the gear on the arm that actually raises the window looks ok. What the motor gear looks like who knows. IT does appear to be the factory regulator and what not as there is still rivets holding the whole assembly together.

However, it was dark when I pulled the door card off and I didn't have a manual on me to reference how to take the motor/regulator out.. Got any words of wisdom?

If it does turn out I need a motor or whatever, are they still available? thanks guys! :)

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If you do need a motor/regulator might as well shop local.

5278a.jpg

www.jopar.ca

Look for the Diplomat M section

Joe's a great guy.

I think Rock Auto has them too.

5278a.jpg

Last edited:

lowbudget

Reaction score
The service manual tells you how to pull the gear without pulling the regulator/motor. I think I just ran a piece of Gorilla tape over the top of the window frame to hold the window up and unbolted the 3 bolts and popped it out, popped the new one right in. I got the plugs and gear via rock auto. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1063505&parttype=1001109&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=crmn8je2d878ef1al3u9iuo221...IIRC here's a how to from this website http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php?topic=1479.0

Last edited:

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
If you do need a motor/regulator might as well shop local.

View attachment 11111

www.jopar.ca

Look for the Diplomat M section

Joe's a great guy.

I think Rock Auto has them too.

It would appear he has the parts. Some good stuff there too.. thanks for that contact Cap'n.

The service manual tells you how to pull the gear without pulling the regulator/motor. I think I just ran a piece of Gorilla tape over the top of the window frame to hold the window up and unbolted the 3 bolts and popped it out, popped the new one right in. I got the plugs and gear via rock auto. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1063505&parttype=1001109&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=crmn8je2d878ef1al3u9iuo221...IIRC here's a how to from this website http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php?topic=1479.0

I see that they have the motor.. and that comes with the new plugs already inside of its assembly? It does appear to be a case of the broken nylons as it will sort of want to pull the window downwards if the nylon chunks get in the right orientation.

I will see if I can get a motor assembly local.. if not I'll try online. For the $50 at jopar.com.. it may die next week of the same failure eh?

Last edited:

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Sorry boys! I got this fixed last Friday when I was still in Ontario.

Went down to my local autohaus, and talked to my parts guy ( i get his discount ;) ), and he had one locally for $130 list. I paid $71! Came with a few wiring harnesses two ones that fit this car, but with reversed pins.. I am guessing so it could be used on the rear right window as well, and two other plugs likely for another model.

I sprayed some dry-silicone lubricant on ALL of the moving parts and the windows work as good as a new car!! So good so, that i proceeded to take the passenger front panel off as well and get all that stuff l000b'd up too. The swap was as easy as popping the door panel, three screws for the motor, and putting the new motor in place. DUNZO

Drivers front/Passenger rear - Dorman Window Motor 742-300
Sale Price: $36.23

Passenger front/Driver rear - Dorman Window Motor 742-301
Sale Price: $36.23

For the cost of replacement parts, or finding the correct size ones.. and all the jazzing around, you might as well buy the new motor and get a smaller more powerful motor out the situation too. The new motor ZIPS the window up and down with ease!

Back