My Fifth Avenue Version 2.0

LocuMob

Reaction score
I just bought my second 1984 Fifth Avenue today. A mechanic friend pulled it out of a storage unit across the street from his shop after it sat since 2010. A new fuel tank and sender were installed, the correct wheel covers were located, and that was all that was needed.

It's almost identical, other than it has velour vs the Corinthian leather in my old car, and this one has nicer paint. Put about 60 miles on it cruising around. Every option seems to work, even the AC, albeit needs a charge. The speed control works but it doesn't hold the speed at a constant mph. Front windows are a little wonky and need guidance when the go up. I forgot how close the power seat controls are to the door! Definitely need to adjust with the door open.

I got the car because I didn't have the proper closure with my old one, and the price was right. I'll drive it for a while, and decide if I'm keeping it or not. It floats down the road like a champ, only 41,385 miles on the clock, and old by a little old lady, it's been taken care of properly over the years.

Here it is sitting at my friends shop, I'll post some better pictures tomorrow.

PXL_20210620_000504688~2.jpg

Kramer79

Reaction score
Looks amazing! What is that color name? Looks almost like my wagons color but a bit lighter? Nice find

LSM360

Reaction score
Looks super sharp. As far as windows go if you haven't dealt with that before just remove the motors and clean out old grease, and replace the bushings in there. I'd replace the gear while in there anyway since they are cheap. Regrease everything and re-install motor. Clean the channels of old grease too and re-grease. I use "Fifth Wheel Grease" on mine. Very silky and stays that way in cold weather.

LocuMob

Reaction score
Looks super sharp. As far as windows go if you haven't dealt with that before just remove the motors and clean out old grease, and replace the bushings in there. I'd replace the gear while in there anyway since they are cheap. Regrease everything and re-install motor. Clean the channels of old grease too and re-grease. I use "Fifth Wheel Grease" on mine. Very silky and stays that way in cold weather.
All I did last night was push the rear corner down while the window rolled up. The driver's side rolls up like normal now. The passenger side I have to push down as it starts to roll down, then it works on its own. Rolling it up, it only goes up til about an inch or so ago is present. I pull the window up and make sure the regulator is all the way up with the switch. I'll get inside the door if it bothers me too much.

LSM360

Reaction score
FYI when a window slants so that you have to pull on one side to make it go up it's the bushings a.k.a. gear plug I mentioned before. I usually replace the gear while I'm in there and new gear comes with them.

Again, beautiful car!

31RJKuDoCZL._AC_.jpg

983_SK747411_putaway_1__ra_p.jpg

LocuMob

Reaction score
Drove the car 225 miles the past week, and it averaged 15.3 mpg with mixed driving, but mostly 65-70 mph. Left caliper seems a little sticky, so I'll pull the wheel and inspect it. Windows are getting better, I only need to push a little against the passenger window to assist it the final inch or so. AC isn't cold, so it's windows down, which is fine with me, my old rides don't have working AC so I'm used to it. I do appreciate the wing vents on the 66's I drive!

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The Windows could be from lack of use and the grease being old but using them a lot in that condition could end up breaking the bushings that LSM mentioned.

Kramer79

Reaction score
For manual windows I have used a paper straw, and dry spray grease - forgot the name, and just pried the rubber and shot some down into the door, with enough straw movement it seems to help…

Back