My neglected Road Runner

dvw

Reaction score
A little history on this car. Bought it January 78. Original 360 Super Pak, A/C, cruise, rubber bumper strips. My wife and I went on 1st date in it. So through the years it was my hot rod. Got a narrowed 8 3/4, 727, supercharged 340. At the 2011 Monster Mopar event the upper blowrr pulley hub came loose. Then I built a racecar, 64 Belvedere. So into my neighbors garage it went, for 10 years. Broke the racecar in May 2021. So I decided to resurrect it. First of oil up the cylinders and rooled it over. Then vacuumed the remaining oil out of the cylinders. Imagine the surprise when I found bird seed in #3. Along with peanuts and sun flower seeds. Got that cleanup. Fixed the blower hub. Discovered an oil leak. So the pan had to come off. Brake caliper was stuck. Rebuilt that with 2 new lines. Barry Grant fuel pump was leaking. Rebuilt that. Now it ran ok. It cleaned up pretty good. Next stop was Monster Mopar at Norwalk.
Doug
Doug
210703_113502.jpg
20210718_183051.jpg
20210719_132330.jpg
20210708_143624.jpg

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Looks pretty darn good for a neglected car! Isn't amazing the places mice can get into, and back out of, while leaving evidence behind like their stash?

Duke5A

Reaction score
That looks amazing. You could eat off of that motor.

Is that a J10 behind it?

dvw

Reaction score
Well the paint on the body is pretty beat. Lacquer spayed in 1986. A lot of checking and cracking. Engine freshened maybe 15 years ago? Norwalk started ok. 11.22, more jet 11.17, more jet 11.07@122. then something broke 12.22. Checked a bunch of stuff. engine , fuel, ignition all good. Takes close to 2500 to make it move. so I took it home and it sat again. Well last week I decided to take time to fix it. Drained the trans pan. Then went in for lunch. Came back out and cracked the trans line loose. It sprayed fluid with pretty good pressure over one minute. Um, cooler circuit must be plugged. Pull the pan, ouch. About a 1/8" of metal covering the entire pan. Pull the trans and disassembled. the rear line feeds the rear governor support. The 3/32" hole was plugged solid. The front clutch got hot. Burned up the inside section of the Alto frictions, scorched the band. Pump gears had some grit go thru. Other than that the trans is unharmed. spent hours cleaning everything. Even threw my spare aluminum drum in it since there is no shield. It does have a LBA valve body. It had a 8" Turbo Action converter. I had a spare PTC 9.5" that's been in it before. Maybe .05 slower. But this is my street car, right? All back together and ready for spring. Street tires and all.
Doug

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I remember the car back in the 80's at the Mopar shows, cruisin Gratiot, crusin Telegraph, Milan and wherever else I probably seen it.

Back